Top miles on a UB3 cluster

pitzel

Doing a project here with a Cutlass Supreme UB3 cluster, and need some estimates of the most mileage one has ever put on one.

300k miles? 400k miles? 500k miles?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pitzel

• GnatGoSplat

• Dirty Rockstar

• Baddflash

The max on the 6000 STE ones is 199,999. :shock: I remember me and my sis were in the '86 STE when it hit 199,999, and we were waiting for it to hit 200,000. We were going to get out wherever it hit it, and just starte celebrarting/dancing, while onlookers thought we were crazy. But...after a few minutes, we realized the ugly truth that it would never hit 200K. :cry:

the max you should be able to put on one is 999999 :lol:

Then what happens? Serious question dude, lol.

I have actually rigged one up to a PC and am spooling it forward at the rate of 1636 miles/hour simply by feeding it signals emulating motion. Will know within a month what happens.

The mathematical formula for determining the speed is as follows:

Speed (mph) = 0.9*frequency.

Speed (kph) = 1.6*0.9*f

So if you feed it a sine or square wave of 60Hz, the unit will register 54mph.

Top frequency I have been able to feed it is approximately 1830 cycles/second. Anything higher than that, and it just freaks out.

Can you make me a setup for this?! I need it, lol

:withstupid:

Instructions on how you constructed this device or a diagram would be awesome. I need to add like 90,000kms to mine, or take about 30000km off my spare. :lol:

Baddflash, it involves a PC with sound card (I use a P100 running WindowsNT 4 -- but Win9x or Linux would work fine with the appropriate software), a tiny sine wave generator program, a cheap ghetto blaster, and about 5 alligator clips.

I tap the computers' internal PSU to run the cluster as well, so you don't need another PSU to run it on the bench.

I will have a complete write-up available soon with pictures.

Baddflash, it involves a PC with sound card (I use a P100 running WindowsNT 4 -- but Win9x or Linux would work fine with the appropriate software), a tiny sine wave generator program, a cheap ghetto blaster, and about 5 alligator clips.

I tap the computers' internal PSU to run the cluster as well, so you don't need another PSU to run it on the bench.

I will have a complete write-up available soon with pictures.

Sounds simple enough, although not sure what the ghetto blaster is for. That would be sweet if you could to that.

Sound waves are sine waves.. As well as Speed pulses on electronic speed systems.. The ghetto blaster (Whateever the hell THIS is) gives the sine waves.. Am I right here?

I would guess it would be to get the sample wave for the software to replicate. The PC sound card generates the sine waves.

ghetto blaster = small portable radio :lol:

Sounds simple enough, although not sure what the ghetto blaster is for. That would be sweet if you could to that.

The signal that comes directly from a computer sound card only comes out at around 2 volts maximum.

In the automotive environment, 2V is just noise.

The amplifier, of which I am using a cheap old ghetto blaster for, just serves to boost the signal to a level that is above the noise threshold of the circuitry in the cluster.

...Im still lost on this one.. Like.. Anything with an FM/AM band in it?

It would need:

a) an input from the computer. Mine has RCA plugs.

B) outputs to the speakers. Mine has 4 wires that go to the speakers. I merely disconnected them and wired the cluster up where one of the speakers goes.

Sound waves are sine waves.. As well as Speed pulses on electronic speed systems.. The ghetto blaster (Whateever the hell THIS is) gives the sine waves.. Am I right here?

Any periodic signal can be mathematically represented as a superposition of a series of periodic sine waves. That is the underlying theory of the fourier transform.

Technically what comes from the wheel speed sensor would be more of an impulse function or a short duration square wave. However, the circuitry in the cluster works just fine on sine waves, and is in fact more stable that way on the bench.

After all, a square wave is just a sine wave with a bunch of extra harmonics added. Digital circuitry really can't tell the difference unless it does very high speed sampling and A/D to the signal.

Daggar, in miles, I estimated approximately 21 days. Even at 1600mph, it sure takes a while to rack 'em up.

Did some math. 1 million miles = 3.96 billion pulses, or roughly 2^32.

If the cluster uses a 32-bit counter internally, it should roll over at approximately 4 billion and reset to zero.

Wish me luck I guess. If this doesn't work...anyone want to buy a UB3 cluster w/o a working odometer?

I am curious..When it comes to rolling BACKWARD, coulnt one apply a negative sine? Or a cosine?

EDIT: Watch me make my car get up to a flashing 199 while DRIVING :lol:

Post your results.. Im pulling for reset to zero :D

So was this project just out of curiosity to see what happens??? Or something else?

Just an effort to reset my cluster to the mileage of my car since finding a cluster with 69k miles on it is nearly impossible. If this works, great, everyone will know. If it doesn't work, blah, the $$ ($10 + shipping) I spent on the cluster is down the drain. Good learning experience though, either way.

I am curious..When it comes to rolling BACKWARD, coulnt one apply a negative sine? Or a cosine?

Post your results.. Im pulling for reset to zero :D

The unit just counts pulses without any directional component.

A 'negative' sin() or 'negative' cosine(), mathematically speaking, is just a phase shifted sin() or cos() function anyways.