switching the stock radio

bigfredi36

i have a 96 cutlass supreme, it comes with the delco electronics/ oldsmobile radio with the casette only. i can find one of the same model year radios easily on ebay. it is as easy as taking the old one out and then plugging the new one in? no changes nessesary? because i love the stock radios looks but need a CD. and i dont want an aftermarket head unit. so the question remains is it a simple change, or is it even possible? has any one attempted? :?:

1996 Olds Cutlass Supreme Coupe White Over Graphite

Yeah I should have mentioned..if it has theft-lock activated you'll need the coe - or use that above link.

If you get a cd player from your era of car then it will be plug and play...if you get one from something newer with that thing "only works in the car it came from".

- Jeff L.

• 4 years later...

:mrgreen:

Ok, here's my 2 cents on this. The Theftlock feature on the newer Oldsmobile radios from 1994 up until 1999 on Silhoette minivans and up until 2001 on all other Oldsmobile vehicles and 2002 on the Intrigue, is basically the same as Delco Loc II, just renamed. Most people did not even use or activate this feature for the same reasons they didn't use the Delco Loc II.

Disconnect battery, you have have to re-enter the code you set.

Loose the code and you have to make a phone call or take it to the dealer.

Who is going to steal a factory radio anyway?

On most GM vehicles made from 2001 on up, the radio's Theftlock feature was integrated into the Class 2 Data bus and required part of the VIN code from the vehicle in order to operate.

Quick Note: Some of the newer GM/Delco/Delphi radios actually do not require the data bus link, and, most Saturn radios were made by Panasonic and did not have data bus integration.

Now, onto the question at hand: Here are a few tips:

The best radio part number you should try to find is 16213343. Why? This is the radio most commonly found in the Oldsmobile Aurora and a few others. This radio features CD and Cassette and CD changer controls, however, that is not really the best feature of this radio. It has dual separated amplifiers for both left and right channels built in.

Now Jeremy is correct about he CD drives. Suggestion: Get one radio then find an additional Bose version cheap (Usually will be cheap due to no internal amp) to use for parts. The biggest issue is that for some reason, the standard radio CD drives were made of lower quality, where as the ones for the Bose systems were made a bit better and last longer, yet, both drives were made by Sony.

Also, all Oldsmobile radios, up until 2001 atleast, are actually backwards compatible with most GM vehicles, they just may need a bigger cavity to fit. The 32 pin plug is basically the 21 pin main and 9 pin aux integrated into one, although, about 1/4 of the pins aren't even used.

I hope this helps whoever is out there.

Starflare5.