White smoke

JJ77

When I crank my car up there is a very small amount of white smoke that comes out of the exhaust. I just noticed is because I shot a short vid clip of my exhaust, so when I get the new one I can give you guys a comparison between the two. If it makes any difference, both of my mufflers are blow to kingdom come and I run lots of lucus fuel additive. One more thing if anyone can host the vid for me that would be great.

Is it when it's cold out, all cars put out white smoke because of water vapor when it's cold out. If it does it all the time you could have a headgasket leak. Which means it would be burning coolant, is your coolant always low?

Have someone start it for you and smell the white smoke when it starts. If its a "sweet" smell, its coolant related.

Also, when it is running, if you open your raditor and if the coolant has air bubbles coming up you have a leak in the system - and headgasket probably if you have white smoke from the exhaust. But you said it isn't a sweet smell so...could also be you might have gotten water in the exhaust when washing it the other day.

- Jeff L.

if it only does it when you start up and just for a minute, i wouldn't worry about it

hell, my old '93 puffed blue smoke for a minute on start-up, which means burning oil, but it only did it for a minute at startup so i never worried about it, and my current '88 puffs black smoke for a minute at start-up, but it only does it for a minute so i don't worry about it

If you have persistent white smoke, it could also be a sign of a bad master cylinder and/or power brake booster. If the MC is leaking into the booster, you can suck brake fluid into the intake manifold via the large vacuum hose that runs from the manifold to the booster...

hell, my old '93 puffed blue smoke for a minute on start-up
That would be a sign of worn Valve Seals.
and my current '88 puffs black smoke for a minute at start-up
That would be a sign of the injectors leaking out a bit of fuel after you shut the car off...