Top Engine Clean problems

digitaloutsider

Well, I decided that GM's TEC was mostly water anyway, so instead of throwing down $10 for a bottle of that shit, I decided to do my own top engine clean. I mixed some dish soap and water in a spray bottle (2 parts soap to 1 part water, kinda thick) and shook it up. I popped off my airbox and started the engine, spraying the mixture in my TB. The engine started running LIKE SHIT, and I tried to rev it up to keep it from dying, but it died. Now it won't start. My dad's all pissed and says it's hydrolock. I think he's an idiot. What's the problem?!

Try spraying some gas or a little quickstart in the TB and crank it like hell, it's bound to start eventually. Maybe check your spark plugs.

Once you get it to turn over it'll probably run like shit until all the WATER gets out.

oh wow, so it is kinda screwed.... hmm you try cleaning the EGR? you could put oil down in the spark plug holes and out the plugs back in and see what hapiens then when you try and start it.

make sure to use Bosh, they always work good in my engines. might want to use threadlocker on them too, i had a problem with mine shakeing loose.

You seriously sprayed water and soap into your engine? Pull the plugs and let it dry out for a couple days. When you go to start it after letting it dry out, put a little oil in the spark plug holes, and put in your new plugs.

make sure to use Bosh, they always work good in my engines. might want to use threadlocker on them too, i had a problem with mine shakeing loose.

Dude Bosch, totally suck on these motors, unless you weren't talking about Platinums?

Shawn, I don't get why the hell you would put soap and water down your intake!? Can't you tell the TEC smells like Carb Cleaner? That's what it's supposed to do clean the carbon out!.

Honestly I would try the starting fluid thing.

Dude Bosch, totally suck on these motors, unless you weren't talking about Platinums?

Shawn, I don't get why the hell you would put soap and water down your intake!? Can't you tell the TEC smells like Carb Cleaner? That's what it's supposed to do clean the carbon out!.

Honestly I would try the starting fluid thing.

Ive also heard that Bosch are terrible plugs.

Yea Shuan that sucks ass man. Im also a little suprised you made homemade Top engine cleaner and used it.

edit:HHmmm maybe April Fools joke?

Ive heard of doing that, but at high RPM and when it starts to bog - dont pour more in until it smoothes out again - steam cleans the carbon. I wouldn't reccomend it tho.

I suggest you pull out your plugs and crank the motor for a while.

I'm thinking Shaun isn't that stupid..

I'm guessing April Fools joke too.. :wink:

If so, than Chris is in on it too! He sounds like a idiot.

April Fools jokes aside, water induction is a legit way of cleaning combustion chambers. The key is to use an extremely small amount of water and to induce it into the engine very slowly through the brake booster vacuum hose.

Personally, if I were doing it, I would use a mixture of distilled water and ethanol. I don't think I would add any form of soap. And when doing the procedure, it is imperative that the engine be set to a very high power setting, nice and warmed up.

i still say your pushrods are too long, and thats causeing the vaulves to open and close to quick. a general bench grinder can fix this. make sure you run some 80W90 oil in it, that will make it abit more quiet.

Top Engine Clean is mostly water???

Funny......I had some spill in the bottom drawer of my tool box overnight. It took the paint OFF inside of it.

Bosch plugs.......horrid.....I've had cars start because they had Bosch plugs with 10k miles on them.