Contrary to popular belief leaf cars can become coil sprung

red92s

But it didn't turn out exactly as i'd hoped. After a good 15hrs worth of work my 1992 Cutlass supreme has KYB struts with lowering coils for a 1999 Monte Carlo. My Dad did a great job cutting, expanding and rewelding the strut towers. Its quite solid.

The bad news is that the car is only about half an inch lower (please settle) , and has the poor rebound characteristics that gen 1.5 cars have.(A chain is going to limit the rebound when i get to it) I also dont have a sway bar for the moment.

So is an addco sway bar worth it? A monte sway bar wont work it's too wide.

As far as the modifcations to the car the coils work pretty well, plus when the old leaf struts become discontinued ill be alright!

My Dad did a great job cutting, expanding and rewelding the strut towers.

That's an awful lot of work just to get lower.

You do know you can get a lowering leaf for less than US$200, right?

shawn, can you still order the lowering leaf? and if so, where should I look. I read a bunch of posts on the birchmount leaf spring, but i thought i heard that they aren't taking any orders now. Is there a place to get one?

Guest TurboSedan

sounds very interesting, but i think i'd go with an FFP coilover kit before i did all that work.....or the Birchmount rear monoleaf if it's still available.

the monoleaf handled better than the coilovers i put on. its actually a good setup, better than the montes but of course has its problems. if they made a good lowering fiberglass monoleaf i would go back to that. i would do the addco bar. if your dad is good with that stuff why dont you change the monte bar so it fits? i dont know if its possible cause of the shape, but maybe with some work it would ,well, work. i dont think birchmount is taking any more orders right now for it.

shawn, can you still order the lowering leaf? and if so, where should I look. I read a bunch of posts on the birchmount leaf spring, but i thought i heard that they aren't taking any orders now. Is there a place to get one?

If you heard that, it could be true, but once they finish everyone's leafs they should be taking orders again.

There is a kit to do this with the stock suspension setup. Got any pics of how you converted to a 3 bolt setup vs the 2? -vegeta

I dont have any pictures of the bolt pattern change. But we took the top plates for the monte struts and cut them down a bit and drilled new holes in them. This was a lot of work.

I'm really hoping the car settles out a bit over the next week or two. There could be a leaf spring back in the car again. I got a deal on 4 monte lowering springs and 4 kyb Gr2 struts for $270 so I figured id go for it. It's scary what you can come up with when you have a welder and a plasma cutter.