what is minimum boost on a TGP?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

if i simply had a vacuum line that ran straight from the compressor fitting outlet to the wastegate can, what would the boost level be? i'm thinking 5-6psi? will boost creep up higher if i have a slightly free-er (is that a word? lol) flowing exhaust (no cat/no muffler/'91 3.1 NA Olds Cutlass single outlet exhaust) or is the stock TGP turbo wastegate hole big enough to prevent boost creep?

i just want to know if i'll be safe using a vacuum line between the compressor outlet fitting and wastegate can since i'm not going to be using the stock wastegate solenoid for boost control. the vacuum line should give me minimum boost (depending on my wastegate can of course, which unfortunately has an actuator rod that is not threaded :? ).

any educated guesses & suggestions welcome, thanks

You should see around 4 psi as that's what the wastegate actuator is set at. I just ran a vacuum line from the compressor housing fitting straight to the wastegate actuator when I first swapped the turbo 3.1 into the lumina, and it was fine. A little on the slow side, but fine otherwise. :P

You should see around 4 psi as that's what the wastegate actuator is set at.

Unless for some reason the wastegate actuator rod is threaded. If it is threaded it may have a higher preload than 4 - 4.5 psi. 8)

Guest TurboSedan

cool thanks for the info. this turbo must be totally stock, because the last TGP turbocharger i had had a threaded rod. 4psi is good for me; the lower the better. i am going to be installing my A-pillar pod & Autometer Phantom vac/boost & A/F gauges in the Cutlass temporarily for the upcoming dyno day. if all goes well i'll add the grainger valve in-line on the vacuum hose and turn it up until i'm at 8psi. i just hope i don't get any boost creep.