Front end clunk

White93z34

ok this has been irriateing the hell out of me for awhile now, but since i owned my car (yes before the wreck too) the front end makes a clunking noise once in a while. i'm starting to think its the front pass strut tower. i've replaced my cradle and both control arms, and have 2 brand new balljoints in it but the noise remains, i know my cradle bolts are in tight. the noise is strange though it only seems to do for a little while after i start driveing, then it goes away, i don't get that at all. and when it does it it ususally only does it for the first few stops then never coms back untill the car sits for awhile and i start driveing it again.

Try your steering rack bushing. See if you can move it up in down in the steering rack..you'll note that if it makes a knocking sound...you've got it. If it is firm in and out, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I put all new bushings and bolts and cups on mine and it still clunked - every turn and every time I hit the gas or brake. So I took some angle iron and bolted it to the rails under the body, then welded tabs on the subframe, then bolted em together. No more clunk!

That's what I figured... I just hadn't done it... Mine only clunks in corners, no stop/start... After I made sure everything was tight, I just figured it was the body popping back and forth of the sheet metal... mmmm.... uni-body :wink:

Mike