Getrag prices

toastemcutlass

I actually can get a 282 with a beretta atached at least if its still avalible. I turned my friend down cuz I didn't think the 282 would handle it. I want to check into it more, I pay attention to some of the fiero sites every once and a while to see what they do with my motor. actually there is a place around me that puts the 350's in them I should call them and see if they ever had a problem.

Guest TurboSedan

W-body Getrag 282 - 1st gear is pretty steep, i suppose there would be traction issues with a powerful engine? the RPM drop between 1st & 2nd looks pretty big, but it doesn't feel too bad when i'm driving. when i'm really getting on it i bring 1st gear up to about 25mph max and 2nd gear feels really strong from after 28mph or so. 2nd - 3rd shift is roughly 45mph and then 3rd - 4th shift happens around 65mph. i can bring 4th up to 100mph if i pushed it i think. i've never tested the top speed. by comparison, the 1st & 2nd gear in the 284 look REALLY close. the 284 also has a more desirable 28% Overdrive 5th gear compared to the 282's 19%. fwiw, at 75mph in 5th, i turn about 2700 RPM. the SCX 282 looks like a closer ratio tranny than the W-body 282, but if the bellhousing was a PITA to change, it may not be worth it. it would be interesting to swap an SCX 282 into my car and compare them directly. i'd like to test drive a 5-speed GTP just so i could see how different it is.

joshua

If You have 3.4 DOHC look for Getrag 284, That is the only transsmision that was designed to handle 250 lb of torque. and since you can't buy any rebuild kits for this tranny If anything goes wrong, tranny has to be sent to Getrag for rebuilt $$$. Another alternative is to go with GETRAG 282(Muncie),It's exactly the same tranny exept it can only handle 200 lb of torque so you would have to be careful not to brake it :)

Just to get my 2 cents in...I have a Getrag 282 strapped to a Turbo 3.1 in my TGP and I know that I am putting much more than 200ft/lbs of torque through it and I have not had a lick of problems with it. When I took my tranny to the shop to have it gone through, the guy told me the trannies were severley under-rated from Getrag and that 300 ft/lbs would be about the max for them. There are guys using Getrag 282 trannies with NorStar Caddy motors in Fieros and they are very happy with the end result. As far as what will fit in the application asked...I couldn't tell you. 8)

Guest Anonymous
Yeah Archie does it very often, but the guy's at Pennock's Fiero Forum talk about 282's and how well they work for just about every application... 8)

Are you a member over there? I am. Those guys do some crazy stuff on their cars.

Guest TurboSedan
W-body Getrag 282 - 1st gear is pretty steep, i suppose there would be traction issues with a powerful engine?

There is.

:)

Jason

There sure is! 8)

i wish i had that problem! :)

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

very very soon :) i'm still looking for a second car. i decided not to go with that SHO because they just plain wanted too much. then i was looking at a '91 Bravada - now there is this Shelby Lancer on ebay in Denver that i'm considering (wouldn't need a loan for this one).... and then there is that Turbo STE...

joshua

Joshua, from what I remember about your SHO post, you were looking in the 3k range. If so, a very wise move would be to buy that 3.4/5-speed STE off of ebay. That is one of if not the rarest W-Body of all short of the pace car. The 3.4/5-speed is an AWESOME combo (I have one and can vouch for it) and that car is MINT!!!

Hell I'll buy it off of you in 5 months if you buy it!!!

-Tom

Guest TurboSedan

that would be nice, ecspecially if i had that car *and* the turbo STE i'm trying to get...they look identical besieds the hood vents and badging. i wonder which car is faster?

seriously tho, lately i'm thinking that getting another car loan would be a BAD idea for me. i need a car so i can still deliver pizza while i take my CS apart for the turbo conversion. but, i think if i can get a cheap car under $700 or so then that would be the right move. it would be sooo nice to not have a car loan :) school is way more important right now, that and moving to Colorado sometime this year. so right now i'm trying really hard for the Turbo STE (see other post), and maybe an '87 Shelby Lancer that is in Denver. both cars need work, but i think me and iTurbo can handle it (iTurbo has a Shelby Lancer identical to this one except cloth interior 5-speed). The Turbo STE needs a turbo but i'm buying one of those this week (i hope) from Intlcutlass anyway. man i hope everything falls together with the Turbo STE next week!

joshua

I found a dealer that sells the getrag 282...AUTOZONE!!!!! I seen it on their site last night.....I believe they're probably just remanufactured ones......they're $1400 by the way with a $300 core charge included in that price(I think)....also backed by a one year warranty......just letting everyone know, I thought its pretty cool that AZ sells em or can get em for ya. :D