Getrag prices

toastemcutlass

as some of you know I want to switch from the crappy auto trans I have and get the getrag, I already have the shifter and brake pedel but was wondering what kind of prices your seen them for? and also prices of clutchs

300-400 for the tranny itself. Clutchs really depend on you, but if have the dohc I would get a beefy one. A lot of people have reported problems with centerforce, Clutchmasters makes a good one, But it's really your call. Centerforce df- around $300. Clutchmasters is aroung $400-500 i think.

is that trans the mucie or the getrag. cuz the bone yard wants 900 for one with 150 g's on it and 1800 for rebuilt, would really mine used as long as it didn't have that many miles on it.

Go onto gmforums.com and PM "pocket-rocket" and ask him if a getrag can even be installed into your '94. From what I remember the 94s have a brace under the dash that prevents them from having a manual installed in them. I think 93 was the last year that manual install was possible - but I could e wrong. Definetely check that out.

-Tom

Go onto gmforums.com and PM "pocket-rocket" and ask him if a getrag can even be installed into your '94. From what I remember the 94s have a brace under the dash that prevents them from having a manual installed in them. I think 93 was the last year that manual install was possible - but I could e wrong. Definetely check that out.

-Tom

You are correct Tom.

Jason

If You have 3.4 DOHC look for Getrag 284, That is the only transsmision that was designed to handle 250 lb of torque. and since you can't buy any rebuild kits for this tranny If anything goes wrong, tranny has to be sent to Getrag for rebuilt $$$. Another alternative is to go with GETRAG 282(Muncie),It's exactly the same tranny exept it can only handle 200 lb of torque so you would have to be careful not to brake it :)

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Chilton%20Manuals/8800m/8800CH07_3.HTML

I recall seing 95 GTP converted to 5 speed, but I don't know the details

-Tom

You are correct Tom.

Jason

Clutch is 200 bucks for the 284. You will have issues putting a 5 speed in a 94+. Computer and wiring to MPFI so you can use a 5 speed chip, that brace as mentioned, drill a hole for the cables, drill or modify the hole in the firewall for the clutch hydraulics, swap to th e91-93 steering column so you can mount the clutch pedal, etc. Its not practical and is much easier to just buy a 5 speed car to begin with, especially if you dont have a 91-93 to start with.

ya the muncie is not an option I wreck the trans I have now and it is suppose to hold 225 hp and not sure on torqe. i have this problem with my foot being heavy and the only way to make it better is to floor it :lol:

Guest TurboSedan

i was under the impression that '94 was the last year that you could easily mount the clutch pedal, since '95 was the year the dash changed? also, why would you need a different steering column? personally i would much rather use a Getrag 282 than a 284, but then again, i have one :)

joshua

that maybe, it makes sence. I was under the impression that there was a different colum in the newer ones and it was in the way. but I do have the old style dash so hopefully I don't. the reason I wont use the muncie is cuz it holds less power then my auto trans and I blew my trans three times, the 3.4 likes to rip um up. :D

Guest TurboSedan

i have never really looked up under the dash of a '94 or '95+ W-body, but i don't think there is any clutch pedal 'hanger' on the newer ones. i'm assuming the '94 CS *does* have the hanger in there, since the dash is the older style.

i know the 284 is stronger, but i would just hate to ship the thing to Getrag if anything happened to it - that would be a total pain in the ass! and i'm sure it would cost alot. lots of people use the 282 behind much more powerful engines with good luck. my little n/a 3.1 is hardly considered powerful, so i can't really say myself. it will have to live behind the engine after my turbo project tho :) i'm hoping for 250hp/250tq

joshua

The 282 will have no problem holding up to your 3.4, and its cheaper and WAY WAY WAY easier to find parts for. Fieros guys run 282s with just about everything under the sun (LT1s, LS1s, Northstars, 350s, 454s). Don't worry about the 282, worry about the install.

-Tom

Guest TurboSedan

another thing to consider is the different clutch hydraulics between the 282 and 284. i'm not familiar with the 284 hydraulics, but i think the system is a bit more complex.

joshua

Now check out the gear ratios. The 282 wont be as optimal unless you get the close ratio version. That is the route I want to take but I wouldn't do it without the close ratio gearing.

Guest TurboSedan

how many different types of 282's are there anyway? i've heard the Quad-4 uses an Isuzu 282 (weak), and the HO Quad-4 uses a Getrag 282 with a Quad-4 bellhousing? is it hard to change the bellhousing? crap i need to go check out Brian's site...

joshua

Now check out the gear ratios. The 282 wont be as optimal unless you get the close ratio version. That is the route I want to take but I wouldn't do it without the close ratio gearing.

Are the ratios really "off" all that bad? Enough to justify the price and rarity issues?

-Tom