what are these wires for??

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

i've already installed the TGP fuel injector sub harness on my engine, but i can't figure out what these wires are? they come out of the harness near the PS pump & alternator. one wire is purple, one is yellow, and there is a thin metal rod/wire and they are all wrapped in gold foil :think:

pic:

DSC01667.JPG

TIA

On my car there are wires going down low to the front of the motor but can't see where they go unless I jack up the car. Sorry man...if no one answers by tomorrow I will jack her up and look under her skirt and see where they go... :wink:

Guest TurboSedan
If its wrapped in foil could be the crank sensor wires. There the only ones I know of that is sheilded.

Jud

that makes sense. although i would have thought the CPS connector would have come out of the same part of the harness that the KS comes from (the main/lower engine wiring harness).

man this TGP wiring harness needs alot of work :? the fuel injector sub harness is in great shape (besides the cut starter wires & assumed cut CPS wires). the lower harness needs a new KS pigtail, some other wires i haven't quite figured out yet, complete driver's side auxillary power block, and 5-speed conversion stuff so my backup lights work and the ECM always thinks the car is in gear....

here comes this weeks project, time to break out the Bernzomatic pen torch, solder, paste flux, shrinkwrap, friction tape and new loom :)

Guest TurboSedan
that's definetly the CPS wiring. It's usually run alongside the timing cover. Do you have the other half intact (To the DIS)?

there is another connector coming from the same upper injector harness. it splits off from the main fuel injector harness (behind the water pump) and plugs into the ICM - is that what you are referring to? there are two other plugs for the ICM, but they are from the lower wiring harness.

at least i have my old '90 3.1/5-speed harness to steal pigtails & auxillary power block from.

Guest TurboSedan
that's definetly the CPS wiring. It's usually run alongside the timing cover. Do you have the other half intact (To the DIS)?

ok i looked at it closer today and the other side of the CPS pigtail is intact (it's plugged into the DIS right now). now i just need to splice on a CPS pigtail from my other harness. what's really wierd is that the TGP harness CPS pigtail has shielding and a metal wire/rod thing running with the yellow & purple wires. the '90 Grand Prix NA 3.1/5-speed harness i'm stealing my pigtails from has NO shielding or metal wire/rod with the CPS wiring....it's simply the purple and yellow wires wrapped around each other.

if i just splice on the CPS pigtail from my other harness should i be ok? what is that metal wire/rod thing for anyway :think:

Normally shielding and a fixed "RF ground" (your solid wire) eliminates any and all RF (Radio Frequency) interference. Not the sound from your stereo mind you... :wink: but things like electric motors (i.e: PowerMaster III motor, Fuel pump, Heater control motor, Heavier voltage loads on the coils while under boost, etc.). If these radio frequencies bleed over into the CPS circuitry it may give false readings to the ECM and cause issues. Now the million dollar question is...did GM put that there as a safeguard or because they had issues and needed to solve it by sheilding the wires for the CPS? :?

Guest TurboSedan

does the TGP have a different crank sensor than the NA 3.1's? because the connector on the DIS has 3 prongs, one for the yellow wire, the purple wire, and the center prong is for the RF ground. however, the CPS itself only has two prongs, one for the yellow wire and one for the purple :think: (the CPS i'm using is the original for the NA '91 block)

if the RF ground solid wire doesn't absolutely need to be there, then i'm not going to use it. otherwise i'd have to get a pigtail with the RF ground wire and a different CPS to match :? the engine ran fine back when it was NA; without any shielding or RF ground for the CPS wiring. so i think (hope) it will be ok....

thanks for the input guys.