Suspension Problems

slick

The last time I checked, I could tell one of my ball joints is toasted. I haven't got to get underneath my car recently, because all we have here is a ton of snow. But anyways, here's the problem. Whenever I turn, whatever way it is, it will make a nice clunk sound. I figure both of my balljoints need replaced, which is no big deal. But, is there really any way of telling if the CV Joints are in need of replacement as well? If the boot is good, is there anything I can do to tell if they are bad or not? Also, is there anything else that might be causing the clunking sound?

Thanks.

If it's just a "clunk" then the CV axles should be alright...

When CV's fail they click constantly when there at locked position (steering wheels as far over as possible).

Also, check bushings and the sub-frame bolt while you're working on the car.

Make sure those don't need replacement as well...

- Erik

Thanks Erik! Glad to see you back around again.

Anyways, I had kinda forgotten what sound the CV Joints made, but you saying it makes a clicking sounds freshen's up my memory on that again.

So it looks like new ball joints for me, and maybe some new bushings, and hopefully not a subframe bolt.

easiest way to tell if you need new ball joints, jack the car up and push/pull on the bottom of the wheels, (wheels straight ahead, pushing/pulling perpendicular to the car) if they move, the ball joint is toast.

does it make a nice metallic clunk when taking a hill while turning, or hitting a pothole? if so, you're in need of some balljoints.

pretty easy fix, and like 70 bucks after tax.

hope it helps

~Ben

The suspension on my Grand Prix is in need of some serious work....like everything needs to be replaced.

I replaced the ball joints awhile ago....the alingment is good. But it still wanders......the rubber bushings are completely done. As well as the subframe bushings. I've already replace one bushing and washer...as the bolt pulled through....the other three NEED it as well.

I'd like to get poly bushings..........does anyone make a decent set? Like Energy Suspension perhaps?

For the struts.....I'm looking at getting a set of GR2s. I've got them on the Beretta and I've been happy with them....they dampen enough for the Eibach springs that I have on it, I figure they should have enough for stock W body springs. What do you guys thing of them?

It also needs brakes (I had sparks coming off them last night when it was out against the Beretta)......I am planning on doing the brake upgrade....what do you guys reccomend for pads? I've got Performance Friction on the Beretta and, again, am very pleased with their performance. I have driven a Beretta with EBC pads.....and they just didn't 'feel' quite as good.

Thats about all the farther I'll get into the suspension and brakes on the car.......maybe a better rear sway bar and strut tower brace if I can find them for the right price.

I want to get the above stuff done before I get into the powertrain....just want to make sure the big pig can steer and brake itself out of trouble.

;)

Yeah, I read it.

I've been looking for a nice set of poly bushings as well, but really no luck yet.

I have GR2's on my car, and I'm fairly pleased with how they feel.

Brakes. Haven't got to mess with mine yet. Previous owner did the 94+ rear brake upgrade, and that was about yet. I was looking at the EBC pads, but you say the Performance Friction feel better?

so, did you replace the balljoint(s) yet!?...if you haven't, i'd suggest you get to it before they come apart...i just replaced a balljoint on a 95 GP today @ work...it ripped the cv out and had to be towed in...ended up costing em like $300...so, like i said...i'd really recommend gettin that fixed before it causes more problems...

That set Ben (Sappyse107) got and it was terrible the bushings didn't even fit the trailering arms.

Oohh, thats never good. Does't look like I'll be getting those then.

Plan on fixing the ball joints here really really soon.

Beings that my goal really isn't cornering with this car......I plan on sticking with regular rubber bushings.

However.....even Energy Suspension made a kit, and it was as complete as the kit for my roomates NX2000, I'd definately opt for it.

my cars suspension tightened up quite abit after i replaced my balljoints, it used to wander more and since i replaced the balljoints (total pain in the ass) it feels alot more firm, then again both my balljoints were totally shot.