E-Brake Stuck???

rshissler

the e-brake on my car doesn't work for some odd reason. its one of those that u have to pump to set (dont know if every 2-body was that) but it wont grab. i mean i pump it twice and it gets really hard i mean i can stand on the thing and it wont go no more and then i can just drive with no problem at all. I checked and none of the lines are broke and it dont seem like the lines are at all tenets. Any ever have this problem?

Bet your rear calipers are kind of stiff. Time to pull the rear wheels and see if you can grease up those slider pins.

Same thing happened to my old lady's 92 Lumina after we first got it. Turned out the calipers were locked up and would not work at all. The front brakes were the only ones working. Replaced both rear calipers and all was cool.

Typical W-body bullshit brake system problem.

Yes, a common problem. GM trying to be revolutionary and not engineering a rear disc setup properly. Why do you think Chevrolet returned to rear drums with the 2nd gen Lumina?

Rear drums were standard on the 95-01 Luminas, discs were optional starting in 96. ABS was also an option during those years, not standard equipment...

Rear drums were standard on the 95-01 Luminas, discs were optional starting in 96. ABS was also an option during those years, not standard equipment...
Did they even make Luminas in 2001? I thought the Impala took over for 2000?

you can bet that they are frozen. When this happened to me I bought new ebrake cables and installed them. Then I bought a new hardware kit for my rear calipers and used never-seize on the slider pins. I needed my ebrakes for an inspection and therfore I fixed them. Junkie brakes even came on my '95 Cutlass which were suppose to be better then the earlier wbodys...they still were a POS!

How do i go about breakin them loose?

I dont have the answer to that question...sadly I got them to break loose "after" I took the ceased up cables off of the car by pulling and twisting on them.

Did they even make Luminas in 2001? I thought the Impala took over for 2000?
Luminas were made until the 01 model year, and in 2000 and 2001 they were only sold to rental fleets. So if you see an 01 Lumina on the market, chances are that it was a rental car...