Yeah, You can guess what my lumina is about to have put in..

JoroCorona

Would a Getrag 284 bolt up to the L67, also, would the 284 survive the added power of the L67.

I already have the tranny, but I'm thinking about rather then fabricating a SCer kit for the LQ1, just swap in the L67 and use the 284. Is it possible or will I be forced to continue using the automatic.

My cheak engine light just came on, time for a L67 :wink:

I don't want a L67, i want to build up my engine and trans, turbo it, and then go find a GTP to play with but is not going to happen for a LONG time if ever.

Its not that, I'm looking for more power, and the L67 has it in spades.

I just need to know if the trans will bolt up or not.

The Fiero guys use that combo all the time. They would prbably be a little more usefull for this. I think the only thing you have to have done is to get a different (custom) flywheel "I think".

The 282 would also hold up just fine, and is easier to get a hold of. The HM-282 was also used in Fiero's. The reason I mention that is because I will post a couple of FAQ from the V8 Archie website:

Q. What kind of transaxle do I use?

A. Our kits use the stock Fiero transaxles, Automatic or Stick shift. The Stick shift transmissions require no modifications to handle a Chevy V-8 engine. On automatic transmission equipped cars using a mild V-8 engine (< 300 H.P.) with a good condition Fiero automatic transmission will work just fine, however for using high output V-8 engines or for hard duty applications we recommend that you "beef-up" the stock Fiero Automatic transmission. Again the stick shift transmissions require no further modifications.

Q. How much horsepower can the Fiero Stick shift transmissions handle?

A. Generally speaking I have used the following engine/transmission combinations with great success, in fact, I haven’t broke a stock Fiero stick shift transmission yet.

With the ‘86 thru ‘88 6 cylinder 5 speed transmissions, I have used engines rated at 460+ H.P. (One even had an additional 200 H.P. dual quad carb. NOS system on top of a 460 H.P. 383" Chevy stroker engine) With no failures yet.

One final note on this subject: It is my opinion that: "even though we have had no failures, that any motor vehicle can fail if subjected to severe and constant abuse."

Good luck.....

PS:... My driverside front tire is low.... Time for a L67.....

Would a Getrag 284 bolt up to the L67, also, would the 284 survive the added power of the L67.

I already have the tranny, but I'm thinking about rather then fabricating a SCer kit for the LQ1, just swap in the L67 and use the 284. Is it possible or will I be forced to continue using the automatic.

First of all your 5-speed 3.4L will be jus as fast as an L67, they are not that far back. A few basic bolt ons and you can pull them.

You will need to make an adapter plate for the tranny to engine, but it has been done. According to the guys at PFF, a 5-speed with a L67 is useless, and doesn't make the car any faster, and it makes the car a bitch to drive do to the generous amounts of low end paired with a cles ratio, tall geared 5-speed. But if you want a 5-speed, it can work. A 284 will not have a problem handling the EXTREME horsepower of the L67 :roll:

And yes, a 282 can also handle the power...

You will need to make an adapter plate for the tranny to engine, but it has been done.

What are you talking about, both the L67 and the LQ1 have the same bolt pattern.

Yep....they are the same....

I am pretty sure you just need to get a flywheel made up....

Well, I wasn't sure about doing the L67 swap until today, my LQ1 has just developed a pritty raunchy sounding rod knock. And I am not rebuilding this thing. I can get a L67 out of a 99 GTP that was rear ended for 400 bucks. It only has 54k on it. So the trans will bolt up, I'll just need a new flywheel. Is there a flywheel off of something that will fit, or does it have to be custom?

I'm gonna have to walk away from this project. Just got my school bills and I think I'm gonna have a heart attack. Cant even afford to fix the rod knock. So shes up for sale guys. Buy it for a parts car, buy it as a porject. whatever, but you guys get first crack before I put it on ebay.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24718