2000+ Monte Carlo Daytime Running Light (DRL) Disable

Redfox340

With all the simple modifications I've been doing to my Jetta, my mom has been bitten by the mod bug.

She wants to know how to disable the DRLs in her 2001 Monte Carlo, like I did with my VW.

I don't have a service manual / repair manual in front of me...

And was wondering if any of you Gen II W-body owners had figured it up without cutting / splicing wires? :wink:

Thanks for the insight!

- Erik :D

you could always just set the E-brake just enoguh to trigger the little warning light to come on. Do that before turning on the key and your DRL won't come on at all. And you won't have to cut anything. Plus, your lights will still work manually.

Easy.

That harness is kinda a bitch to get out. I think the monte's are the same as gp's.

Any negative side-affects to it? Both myself and my mom want this done right.

you could always just set the E-brake just enoguh to trigger the little warning light to come on.

Uhh no; I'm not about to tell my mom that you need to set the e-brake to make things happen.

I had a discussion on that "over-ride" a while back... its not the right thing to do. Pretty getto in my eyes. :gone2far:

Besides with having the Brake light on the dash it is distracting and its not healthy on the rear pads.

- Erik

Or you can always just pull the DRL fuse..
]

But that disables the auto headlights too. And no redfox no side effects, everything else will work fine, no warning lights or anything.

why do people want to disable daytime running lights? :think:

i bet they're the same people who drive with their fog lights on at all times, even in the middle of the afternoon.

seems stupid as hell to me

why do people want to disable daytime running lights? :think:

i bet they're the same people who drive with their fog lights on at all times, even in the middle of the afternoon.

seems stupid as hell to me

Ditto..

If I ever have a car with DRL, they will be the first thing to go. Why do you need them in the daytime, thats what the sun is for :roll: DRLs are just something car companies could do to make their cars "better" so they can charge more. One of the most useless things ever. Having DRL makes a car no more distinct or easier to spot in the day time. If you cant see a car in teh daytime, you shouldnt be driving

If I ever have a car with DRL, they will be the first thing to go. Why do you need them in the daytime, thats what the sun is for :roll: DRLs are just something car companies could do to make their cars "better" so they can charge more. One of the most useless things ever. Having DRL makes a car no more distinct or easier to spot in the day time. If you cant see a car in teh daytime, you shouldnt be driving

obviously many other people think differently, hell the Government of Canada thought they're benefital enough to require them on all cars sold there

Sometimes when the car is head-on, and the suns in your eyes the work great. But I think they can go both ways.

:werd: i think DRL's are a good idea for that reason

Sometimes when the car is head-on, and the suns in your eyes the work great. But I think they can go both ways.

All you need is a pair of sunglasses to remedy that

All you need is a pair of sunglasses to remedy that

some of us have to wear glasses all the time, and don't have vision insurance....are you aware of how much cheap prescription glasses cost, let alone expensive Transition lenses?

are you aware they make those things that clip over the outside of perscription glasses, so you dont have to buy expensive transition lenses? My dad wears glasses and uses the clip on sun glasses just fine. It might not be "cool" but they work

are you aware they make those things that clip over the outside of perscription glasses, so you dont have to buy expensive transition lenses? My dad wears glasses and uses the clip on sun glasses just fine. It might not be "cool" but they work

yeah, i'd rather not look and feel like a dork.

OOH goodie, a glasses argument!!! I think I'll chime in:

Even if you have an expensive-ass pair of RayBans (okay I'm using myself as an example, other expensive-ass brands apply,) even they won't cut the glare from the sun completely if the sun's directly overhead and right in your eyes. Even then, I doubt DRL's would help any, if at all. But I don't really see any detriment to leaving DRL's enabled either. DRL's are one of those things that have very little benefit, but on the other hand have absolutely no adverse affects, so damned if you use them, damned if you don't.

I used to be one of those "clip-on geeks" back before I had LASIK, and I didn't give 2 shits what people thought about me (although I bought the "spring-loaded" metal frame type that matched my glasses perfectly, and they weren't what I'd consider "BC's*.")

*Birth Control glasses, AKA "Revenge of the Nerds style"

Well if you wear glasses, someone somewhere is going to think you're a dork no matter how stylin' your frames are, so you might as well be comfortable...

Having DRL makes a car no more distinct or easier to spot in the day time. If you cant see a car in teh daytime, you shouldnt be driving

:bs:

There are many conditions where DRL makes a car a lot more distinctive to other drivers.

I don't need others to have DRL for me to see them (never been a problem), but I want DRL for others to see me. Probably 95% of all drivers out there are idiots, can't see a car in the daytime, and shouldn't be driving, but they're out there anyway.

I think disabling DRL is retarded. Anybody who does it and gets hit by some dumb bitch who says, "I didn't see your car", deserves it. Disabling DRLs, running wrong-colored bulbs, and other stupid things like that are all things that I think should make someone automatically "at fault" in ANY accident regardless of who really caused it.

Having DRL makes a car no more distinct or easier to spot in the day time. If you cant see a car in teh daytime, you shouldnt be driving

:bs:

There are many conditions where DRL makes a car a lot more distinctive to other drivers.

I don't need others to have DRL for me to see them (never been a problem), but I want DRL for others to see me. Probably 95% of all drivers out there are idiots, can't see a car in the daytime, and shouldn't be driving, but they're out there anyway.

I think disabling DRL is retarded. Anybody who does it and gets hit by some dumb bitch who says, "I didn't see your car", deserves it. Disabling DRLs, running wrong-colored bulbs, and other stupid things like that are all things that I think should make someone automatically "at fault" in ANY accident regardless of who really caused it.

for once, i agree with you

I cant imagine driving before the days of DRLs. Musta been a wreck every 200ft. I bet it was scary as hell driving a dark vehicle at dusk, knowing no one could see you.

But that disables the auto headlights too. And no redfox no side effects, everything else will work fine, no warning lights or anything.

hell i'd go that route myself, i could care less about auto headlights, i'm not stupid i know when to press that little button on the dashboard to make my headlights turn on.

as far as being seen at night, i'd say that haveing autoheadlights could be dangerous, for example i don't believe auto headlights turn the taillights as well, i could see that as a very bad thing.

and i have been driveing cars with no DRLs or Auto headlights for years now, and no one has smashed into me in the broad daylight.

and i can't possably see how you would be at fault if someone hit you in the daylight just because you had DRLs disabled.

as far as being seen at night, i'd say that haveing autoheadlights could be dangerous, for example i don't believe auto headlights turn the taillights as well, i could see that as a very bad thing.

and i have been driveing cars with no DRLs or Auto headlights for years now, and no one has smashed into me in the broad daylight.

and i can't possably see how you would be at fault if someone hit you in the daylight just because you had DRLs disabled.

well, i AGREE with most of your statement...about how you've been driving without DRL's and never been hit...i totally agree...i've never had a problem..BUT...autoheadlights DO turn the tailights on... :roll: ...i dunno where you got that from... :lol:

ok i was wondering about that, i guess its just the people i see who drive with just the DRLs on who completely forget to turn on their headlights