Re-Finishing Wheels

Mizouse

So my dad took mom's car (98 Grand Prix SE) to the shop today to get a couple of slow leaks in the tires fixed. One had a small hole, fixed easily, but the guy was unable to find any leak in the other. He said "aluminum rims have a coating on them that, when it comes off can cause seal issues" Not sure exactly what he is talking about, I assume the clear coat but not 100% on that. Anyway, he said that there are places that can "re-seal" the rims, but didn't know any prices for this. Anyone on here 1.) ever heard of this and 2.) know where or how to do it? Thanks in advance.

I have never heard of the clear coat ever causing a leak. He is bullshitting you guys on that. However, I have heard of aluminum rims that develop a small crack somewhere in the middle of the rim, and that can cause a small leak.

OK....well...i work @ a tire store...and here's the deal...the wheels corrode around the bead...the aluminum corrodes because the tires have steel in them...well, when steel and aluminum mix...it causes corrosion...well, then the clear coat will flake up and the corrosion builds up and causes a leak...to solve the problem, all you have to do is grind the bead area of the rim...then we use some stuff called "BEAD SEALER" made by TECH (tech sells us wheel weights and tire repair stuff)...you just coat the bead on both sides with this stuff...which basically turns into rubber after a few hours....then put the tire back on and air it up!...so...i dunno what the hell the guy is talkin about having to send the wheel out to have it repaired :roll:

OK....well...i work @ a tire store...and here's the deal...the wheels corrode around the bead...the aluminum corrodes because the tires have steel in them...well, when steel and aluminum mix...it causes corrosion...well, then the clear coat will flake up and the corrosion builds up and causes a leak...to solve the problem, all you have to do is grind the bead area of the rim...then we use some stuff called "BEAD SEALER" made by TECH (tech sells us wheel weights and tire repair stuff)...you just coat the bead on both sides with this stuff...which basically turns into rubber after a few hours....then put the tire back on and air it up!...so...i dunno what the hell the guy is talkin about having to send the wheel out to have it repaired :roll:

He might mean take the wheel somewhere to get the corrosion blasted off. He might not want to take the risk himself.

well...you could just have someone dismount the wheel for you...then get a 3M cleaning disk for a mini grinder...then carefully clean grind the wheel down on both sides of the bead...them have it remounted...that should solve the problem...

it's too bad you don't live around here...you could bring it to the shop i work @ and have it fixed for like $12... :lol: