1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme problem

debsco731

i have a 90 Olds Cutlass Supreme that is driving me crazy. we had a problem with the fuel pressure regulator, replaced it, the car ran fine. my daughter left the interior light on one night, and it has been messed up ever since. we put on a new battery, and it would just crank over and not even try to start. it was getting fuel and spark, but nothing. replaced the regulator again, now it only runs off of 3 cylinders. it is a 3.1 L V-6, and it only runs off the front 3. the back 3 are dead. have replaced wires, plugs, and everything else i can think of, and it still misses on the back 3. have checked all vacuum lines, and they are all connected. anybody have any ideas, before i sledgehammer this thing?

thanks, everyone.

i pulled each spark plug wire off of the back 3 plugs, one at a time, and checked for spark on each wire. each wire is sparking, so that is out. when the engine was running, i pulled each wire off, one at a time, and it showed no difference in the idle speed or the sound of the engine. the 3 back plugs will not hit. i checked the fuel pressure, it is within specs. i am at a loss. thanks for the help so far, i really appreciate it.

i pulled each spark plug wire off of the back 3 plugs, one at a time, and checked for spark on each wire. each wire is sparking, so that is out. when the engine was running, i pulled each wire off, one at a time, and it showed no difference in the idle speed or the sound of the engine. the 3 back plugs will not hit. i checked the fuel pressure, it is within specs. i am at a loss. thanks for the help so far, i really appreciate it.

So you showed spark (with a tester light?) but you say that the engine doesn't run any different if you pull any or all 3 back wires. So more likely a fuel problem. One of the three injectors for the back bank is accessible without taking anything apart. If you don't have a manual, I can check mine if you need it, to test if the injectors are getting the signal to fire.

i have a 90 Olds Cutlass Supreme that is driving me crazy. we had a problem with the fuel pressure regulator, replaced it, the car ran fine. my daughter left the interior light on one night, and it has been messed up ever since. we put on a new battery, and it would just crank over and not even try to start. it was getting fuel and spark, but nothing. replaced the regulator again, now it only runs off of 3 cylinders. it is a 3.1 L V-6, and it only runs off the front 3. the back 3 are dead. have replaced wires, plugs, and everything else i can think of, and it still misses on the back 3. have checked all vacuum lines, and they are all connected. anybody have any ideas, before i sledgehammer this thing?

thanks, everyone.

Just a question. When she left the lights on and killed the battery, did someone try boost the car to start it?? The reason I ask is because if someone boosted it and crossed/shorted the jumper cables, you could hace a fucked up ECM.