Rear Leaf Issues...

OldsmoBeast

I was doing my brakes a couple of weeks ago and I discovered the cause of my ultra-squeeky rear end..... My leaf spring thing is missing one of the bushings that holds it in!... I don't know what its called but its the rubber thing that the spring fits into on the end...one of them is there, one isn't! bloody hell..... anyone know where these can be found and how much I should spend? Also, how do I install that bushing?

Thanks

YK

You can get 'em I know for sure at NAPA, but most anywere should have them. There a common thing on our mono-leaf's. I think for two of them my friend paid less than $20. And there easy to replace too.

I paid $12 at NAPA, just give them the MOOG part number and they should be able to look it up. The install is super easy. You'll need two jacks, one to raise the car, and preferrably a bottle jack to depress the leaf springs so you can slip the part in. It should only take 15 minutes.

I bought a set of the MOOG bushings from Rock Auto dot com . Got the parts in 3 days and they were very easy to install. Just follow WhiteOut's instructions on how to install them ('cept I put my car on jack stands cause I only have 1 hydraulic jack...)

okay well....the dude at NAPA sold me a pair of white plastic BLOCKS...and I got under the back of my car and what's under there right now is this rubber bushing that sort of wraps around the tip of the leaf....Am I way off or did that joker give me the wrong part?? And he said that was all that's coming up on the computer so does anyone have the part number??

Thanks,

YK

nevermind...figured it out..sorry guys.....

he did give me the wrong part....and we sorted it out, he has to order the right one, and it'll be in tomorrow......fewf......

thanks again...

YK

Nope, the guy at NAPA gave you the right part. The new bushings should be white plastic blocks about 3"x3"x3/4". The rubber ones are a bad design (hence why they wore out), and were replaced with the poly ones you got.

Nope, the guy at NAPA gave you the right part. The new bushings should be white plastic blocks about 3"x3"x3/4". The rubber ones are a bad design (hence why they wore out), and were replaced with the poly ones you got.

for some reason I just feel more comfortable with the rubber ones...its not that they wore out...its just that one of them seems to be totally missing!!!

in any case, if the rubber ones wear out later, i'll just get the poly ones.

Thanks,

YK

for some reason I just feel more comfortable with the rubber ones...its not that they wore out...its just that one of them seems to be totally missing!!!

Thanks,

YK

The factory uses some industrial glue to put the rubber ones on...

if you try to put rubber ones on...they

will fall out in 2 days...just so you know.

They don't usually wear out....they fall out just like what is happening to you now.

You really should do the white blocks...do it once...and you won't have issues later. :wink:

OldsmoBeast wrote:

WhiteOut wrote:

Thanks,

YK

The factory uses some industrial glue to put the rubber ones on...

if you try to put rubber ones on...they

will fall out in 2 days...just so you know.

They don't usually wear out....they fall out just like what is happening to you now.

You really should do the white blocks...do it once...and you won't have issues later.

Yeah, why would you put on the wrong part, and make yourself more problems down the road.

So, due to popular suggestion, I did decide to go with the poly blocks...y'all convinced me.... and since I do trust Davis considerably because he's saved my ass a few times too many.... So I'm going to go put 'em in after about 30 minutes....and lube up the top part with some caliper lube or grease or something...and I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again everyone!

YK

yet another lesson in innovative W-Body repair....

Givemeabreak was totally right on the topic of the rubber bushings...the one that was still on there was not worn at all...it was in almost perfect shape...however it would not bloody come off!!! I had to cut it off and it left a small chunk of it attached to my leaf!!! I was kinda pissed about that but it won't kill me I guess.... The pucks sit nicely and once I figured out a way to get that leaf to move up (jack+wood block positioned very strategically) it was cake. I did have to take one of the wheels off to cut that stupid rubber crap off...but aside from that...very easy job.

Thanks again to everyone!!!

YK

• 4 weeks later...

could someone possibly post a pic of what them napa parts look like in there? anyone who has replaced the rear struts, how did ya do it without using a spring compressor or with using it? my chilton repair maunal says you need the transverse spring compressor to compress it before taking off the strut...so any help in this area would be appreciated so i can end all that damn noies and have a smoother ride -89 regal gs-not too bad of car-

i went to napa with that part number from wherever on here and the guy said they dont have it and looked in a book and didnt see whatever he was looking at....and the moog ones would be 36 total on rockauto.com...so any other places to get them cheaper?

• 1 month later...

Hate to bring an old thread up, but I guess thats what the Search function is for.

When replacing these pucks or "bushings" on the leaf, you simply jack the car up, then, each side at a time, jack the leaf up, so its parallel to bottom of the car and slide the puck out? Also, how do the poly pucks sit in there? I guess I just cant picture this. Im getting a lot of squeaking from the rear, both pucks are there, but barely. Since its a cheap and easy thing to fix, I might as well do it while I got the time. Thanks for any help guys

If you have squeaking and stuff happenning down there, its probably because you don't have pucks in there, but instead you had the factory rubber ends. I can't remember who said this but they're like little rubber socks for the end of your leaf. The problem was that they literally fell right off so the leaf was resting against metal frame. The factory uses some heavy duty glue to keep them from falling off, so if you have an old one that's still on, you're going to have to fight with it to get it off.

In my case, I stood the back of the car on stands, took my back wheels off, carefully raised one side of the leaf (this is the tricky part) and slid in my new poly puck in where that old rubber pad had fallen out. Then I went to the other side, and raised that side fo the spring and used my knife to cut the old factory rubber bushing off, and slid the other puck in there. Davis also advised me to lube the mating surface, which is a good idea, so I used some caliper lube on the top. Haven't had any problems since.

I'm sure someone around here has pics, but its pretty simple.