Stereo etc.

dikk

Hi guys, my first post here. I'm from Sweden and i recently bought a 1990 GP LE for 1000$. Not bad for such a wonderful car i think! Would you say that's a reasonable price on your side of the ocean too?

Anyway, to the point. I want to equip my baby with a better stereo than the original Delco, which seems like total crap. It can't even recieve frequenices over 103mhz or something. I think i want to keep it though, to maintain the original feeling of the dashboard, the clock etc. So i'm thinking about installing my mp3/cd-player where the ashtray is. Is there anybody here who have any experience of this? Does it work good, or is it better to throw out the Delco and use that space instead?

General tips and comments are more than welcome. Thanks!

If you want to keep the factory look but have the ability to connect an MP3 player or iPod or XM or whatever, hit up eBay and look for a 95-99 Chevy or Pontiac cassette stereo (I'd go with Chevy because the Pontiacs light up red.) These radios have an auxillary input that controls a factory CD changer. There are special aux input adapters that allow you to connect any device with RCA inputs to the auxillary port of a stock Delco cassette stereo (not too sure about the CD stereos, though.)

Here's a shop that sells the Aux. input adapters that I speak of:

http://www.installer.com/aux/index.html

If you want to mount another stereo in the ashtray space, you're better off ditching the stock deck and installing it where it's supposed to go. It won't look bad installed in place of the stock stereo...

Ok, thanks for the info. I think i will go for the option that seems to be the easiest; to get rid of the stock deck. I guess i can always change back to the Delco if i am to sell the car in the future, or if i would miss the original setup.

I read something about a gadget that enabled the use of the steering wheel controls on an aftermarket deck. Some kind of programmable box that connects to the wiring in the SW, with a long cord that has an ir transmitter in the end that you point towards the stereo. Does anyone know if that's working as good as they want you to believe? It sounds great, and if it really does the job i will definitely get one of those.

BTW, sorry about raping your language. :P

welecome to the madness

the steering wheel controls, well as far as i know there is a kit that sells for around $50 USD and i have not heard of anyone not likeing it.i'm sure a grand prix owner will chime in and fill in what i left out.

about the language thing... read here for awhile, we do a prety good job butchering our own language :lol:

Cool... I have to order one, it's totally crucial.

Too bad accessories like these aren't sold over here. Most of the American cars on the roads here in Sweden are really old ones (a friend of mine drives a Monaco '74 for example) or newer van's, SUV's, Transporters etc that already has cd players and so on.

thanks for your replies...

(a friend of mine drives a Monaco '74 for example)
A BluesMobile :shock: ?!? Sweet!!!!

I have one of those steering wheel control interfaces, but I have it installed on my 95 Regal, whose steering wheel controls differ completely from the 88-93's.

Here's a place you can check out:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/stwhcoin.html

I think the PAC SWI-X would be the one that'd work best with your car's controls...

Yea my Aiwa deck came with an AUX input in the front.

aiwa.jpg

I havent used it for anything yet though. So I can plug any device with RCA cables in? A guy at work said he has a deck that you can plug an electric guitar into and play and hear it out your cars speakers :shock: I dont play guitar though :lol:

aiwa.jpg

I havent used it for anything yet though. So I can plug any device with RCA cables in? A guy at work said he has a deck that you can plug an electric guitar into and play and hear it out your cars speakers :shock: I dont play guitar though :lol:

You'll have to buy an adapter that converts a "headphone" style plug into RCA's (I bought a set at Radio Shack a while back.)

This is what I speak of...

aiwa.jpg

You'll have to buy an adapter that converts a "headphone" style plug into RCA's (I bought a set at Radio Shack a while back.)

Its funny how they charge $6 for that adapter. I bet you can get one of those at Walmart for about $2/$3. That adapter is very useful in many situations...hooking up an MP3 player to your car...certain music editing for your CPU.

Delco stereos aren't actually that bad compared to other stock units out there , I liked mine but I upgraded to a Kenwood Mp522 because i wanted a Mp3 cd player instead of using a cassette adaptor and having to carry around my discman all the time. I just used one of those filler pieces for the big hole left by the delco deck, its an install kit.

aiwa.jpg

Thanks for the link :D

Can you think of some more stuff I can hook up to my deck exept an mp3 player because I dont even have one.