Rear Coil Conversion question

blackbombshell95

i have ffp coilovers on my 95 2dr grand prix. and i read in one section of this website that says that it expands the wheel wells? what does that in english? what could happen to the car? is their anyway to prevent it?

Option 2: Coilover conversion. This is perhaps the most dangerous, and risky method to lower the rear of the car. A coilover conversion requires removal of your stock monoleaf spring and installing custom struts that have a conventional coil spring tightly wound around the strut. Most all coilover kits allow for adjustable ride height. This method is not recommended, because the rear wheel wells were not designed to withstand the force that coilover springs will exert on them. Metal fatigue in the wheel well area has been reported by those who have used coilover conversions. Since the wheel wells are an integral part of the unibody frame, metal fatigue in that area can essentially "total out" the car. After installing coilovers on the rear, you may find it desirable to upgrade the wimpy 12mm rear sway bar. We got away with such a wimpy rear sway bar because the transverse monoleaf itself reduces body roll.

that is what this website says under modifications under springs.

Option 2: Coilover conversion. This is perhaps the most dangerous, and risky method to lower the rear of the car. A coilover conversion requires removal of your stock monoleaf spring and installing custom struts that have a conventional coil spring tightly wound around the strut. Most all coilover kits allow for adjustable ride height. This method is not recommended, because the rear wheel wells were not designed to withstand the force that coilover springs will exert on them. Metal fatigue in the wheel well area has been reported by those who have used coilover conversions. Since the wheel wells are an integral part of the unibody frame, metal fatigue in that area can essentially "total out" the car. After installing coilovers on the rear, you may find it desirable to upgrade the wimpy 12mm rear sway bar. We got away with such a wimpy rear sway bar because the transverse monoleaf itself reduces body roll.

that is what this website says under modifications under springs.

where does it say "expands the wheel wells" :roll:

i don't even know why i responded to this thread, i think lowering cars is gay as hell

why did you reply if youre going to be an ass and dont like lowering cars?

i am going with the flex-a-form since im afraid to get rid of my monoleaf and besides ive heard bad things about how noisy they are. in fact, soon im helping redzmonte take off his held coilovers and putting the stock stuff back on his monte (and they came stock without a leaf). if you are afraid and want to keep the coilovers, i would start out by finding what the difference is between the montes and the other w's to see if you could do that to yours to make it stronger so you wont have problems with the coilovers. have you experienced your coilovers being loud?

why did you reply if youre going to be an ass and dont like lowering cars?

because i thought it was fucking stupid when he started talking about "expanding wheel wells" :roll:

why is it so hard to see why he interpreted it that way? it says that it could weaken the wheel wells. that wasnt the point of his question anyway. whatever hes not even paying attention to his post anyway.

why is it so hard to see why he interpreted it that way? it says that it could weaken the wheel wells. that wasnt the point of his question anyway. whatever hes not even paying attention to his post anyway.

expanding means "enlarging" not "weakening"

anyways i'm done with this thread

i don't even know why i responded to this thread, i think lowering cars is gay as hell

When are you leaving?

when are you going to quit starting shit with me?

When are you leaving?

When you stop bashing our cars. Go to an s-10 forum or something.

When are you leaving?

When you stop bashing our cars. Go to an s-10 forum or something.

are you a mod?

you don't have any right to tell me what i can or can't say.

exactly where have i bashed w-bodies here?

are you a mod?

Are you serious? You bash them all the fucking time. Their not real cars, fwd sucks, blah fucking blah.

are you a mod?

Are you serious? You bash them all the fucking time. Their not real cars, fwd sucks, blah fucking blah.

1shut_up.gif

would you 2 just calm DOWN!!! :roll: ...this thread is WaaaYY off topic :nono:

hey man, i get attacked by sl3196 on a regular basis. it's nothing new :roll: his being a friend of one of the mods means nothing will be said to him either, while i'll probably get banned.

hey man, i get attacked by sl3196 on a regular basis. it's nothing new :roll: his being a friend of one of the mods means nothing will be said to him either, while i'll probably get banned.

well, i just noticed the thread in the POWERTRAIN section also :lol: ...i'm just saying, if you guys wanna bitch @ each other...use the PM feature or don't do it at all...you're just filling up other peoples threads with useless shit... :?

well, i just noticed the thread in the POWERTRAIN section also :lol: ...i'm just saying, if you guys wanna bitch @ each other...use the PM feature or don't do it at all...you're just filling up other peoples threads with useless shit... :?

i'd just like to make it known that i'm not the one attacking sl3196 or starting the flame wars.

i'd just like to make it known that i'm not the one attacking sl3196 or starting the flame wars.

thats fine...i never said you did...i'm just saying it doesnt need to be going on in all these threads...and i don't need to be telling you guys to "cool it" either... :lol: ...so, if someone's bitchin, just ignore it...i mean, i don't agree with some of the stuff you say...and i get annoyed sometimes...but, most of the time i just leave it alone...and some times you make good points...but, still TO EACH HIS OWN...so...whatever...i'm out of this!!

:leaving:

thats fine...i never said you did...i'm just saying it doesnt need to be going on in all these threads...and i don't need to be telling you guys to "cool it" either... :lol: ...so, if someone's bitchin, just ignore it...i mean, i don't agree with some of the stuff you say...and i get annoyed sometimes...but, most of the time i just leave it alone...and some times you make good points...but, still TO EACH HIS OWN...so...whatever...i'm out!

:leaving:

thanks for the input.

Well I'm done fighting for now. Just remember this is a w-body board. We like FWD and v6 engines so don't come here and slam our cars and expect people to like it. And yes my car is a "real" car. :lol:

I'm wondering when kevin is gonna stop bitching about everything. I think in every single post where the topic is about modding he says something to the effect of "why the fuck bother, that's gay/stupid/rice" or "It's not worth it on your POS car." If your just gonna waste everyone's time and flame instead of helping out, don't bother posting.

Anyways, to keep this topic from getting locked out, let's keep it on track. those coilovers are moving the force from the weight of the car to the top of the wheel wells where the coilovers mount. I can easily see what he means when he says "expanding the wheel wells." I think that you might be able to fix the problem by welding in some tubing to disperse the weight. Maybe building some framework around the wheel well inside the trunk to keep it from distorting. There's probably some easier solutions to the problem, but I don't know them.

I'm wondering when kevin is gonna stop bitching about everything. I think in every single post where the topic is about modding he says something to the effect of "why the fuck bother, that's gay/stupid/rice" or "It's not worth it on your POS car." If your just gonna waste everyone's time and flame instead of helping out, don't bother posting.

sorry a lot of people here think doing shit that's rice is a cool mod

STFU to every one in this thread that went off topic. if it has nothing to do with the topic, don't annoy the rest of the mebers by continuesly posting in here about how we need to stop arguing and all this other bullshit.

anyway. i guess that using coilovers might accually warp the inside of the wheel well if its under enough stress. personally i have no experience with this, jay does. i would ask him about it.

Holy christ this thread went to hell.

Back to topic, the coliovers are placing stress on the top of the wheelwells that wasn't meant to be there because it's shifting weight from the center of the car into the wheelwells. But I've heard that the metal in the wheelwells in the first-gen's and the 2nd gen's are the same guage.