I think this is the end of my car UPDATE Regal will live on!

HokemBokem

If you change your oil regualrly, you don't need to worry about whether or not you use a synthetic. I had a 93 Cavalier that we bought with 59K on the clock, and we ran it up to 223k (before selling it) using nothing but good ole mineral oil (Castrol GTX to be exact.) I changed the oil and filter religiously every 3-4k. Nothing wrong with good ole mineral oil...

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HokemBokem

• DiscoStudd

• 93CutlassSupreme

• Dannymik

If you change your oil regualrly, you don't need to worry about whether or not you use a synthetic. I had a 93 Cavalier that we bought with 59K on the clock, and we ran it up to 223k (before selling it) using nothing but good ole mineral oil (Castrol GTX to be exact.) I changed the oil and filter religiously every 3-4k. Nothing wrong with good ole mineral oil...

I was just reading about rebuilt engine break in and it looks pretty important. Also is the cheapest 10w-30 oil(about $1/quart) about the same as the Valvoline High Mileage and more expensive non synthetic oils that are like 2.50/quart?

I was just reading about rebuilt engine break in and it looks pretty important. Also is the cheapest 10w-30 oil(about $1/quart) about the same as the Valvoline High Mileage and more expensive non synthetic oils that are like 2.50/quart?

Valvoline high mileage doesn't do shit. it doesn't stop oil leaks like it's claimed to. you're wasting your money if you use that shit

Valvoline high mileage doesn't do shit. it doesn't stop oil leaks like it's claimed to. you're wasting your money if you use that shit

So the cheapest 10w-30 is good enough? Even for my new rebuilt motor?

So the cheapest 10w-30 is good enough? Even for my new rebuilt motor?

yes. brand doesn't matter as long as it's certified by the API (American Petroum Institute) and it says on the back, "Meets New-Car Warranty Requirements" Penzoil will actually warranty your engine for like 200,000 miles or something like that if you use their oil every 3,000 miles and keep the recipets.

Wow this is going to save me a lot of money :)

I used to get the $2-2.50 a quart oil. But the local Checker and Walmart have like Shell and Valvoline basic motor oil for like a $1 a quart :shock:

Also does it matter if I get cheap Fram oil filters or should I get a better one?

Well, I've since switched to Purolator after seeing what garbage the Frams are, but for 3 out of the 5 years I had that Cavalier I mentioned, I used regular Fram oil filters. The less expensive, no-name filters are actually better quality than the Frams are...

Here's a write-up on oil filters:

http://www.lesabret.com/filters/filter.html

if you like your engine stay away from fram, all i use is good ol AcDelco filters.

Yea I think im going to start staying away from Fram. The only Fram oil filter ive ever had is the one I have right now. I only bought it because it was the cheapest one they had. It seems like everywhere I go Fram is one of the couple oil filters they ever have that is a cheap price? Ive gotten K&N Gold ones before but they were 10 dollars a piece :shock: They sure did look nice though :lol:

if you like your engine stay away from fram, all i use is good ol AcDelco filters.

Yea I think im going to start staying away from Fram. The only Fram oil filter ive ever had is the one I have right now. I only bought it because it was the cheapest one they had. It seems like everywhere I go Fram is one of the couple oil filters they ever have that is a cheap price? Ive gotten K&N Gold ones before but they were 10 dollars a piece :shock: They sure did look nice though :lol:

Did you read that article I linked to at all? I really wouldn't worry about a Fram oil filter failing like that if you changed your oil religiously. That filter pictured looks like the owner neglected to change his oil on a timely interval. That should be on the official poster for "This is what happens when you don't change your oil."

Did you read that article I linked to at all? I really wouldn't worry about a Fram oil filter failing like that if you changed your oil religiously. That filter pictured looks like the owner neglected to change his oil on a timely interval. That should be on the official poster for "This is what happens when you don't change your oil."

Yea and it shows the Fram is made with cardboard. Also it says it has some restrictive flow? The other ones look like alot better quality.

yes, i read the article and for me i see no reason why i should buy a poorly made fram for MORE money then what i can get a AcDelco for.

i know you like Fram. don't be a playa

yes, i read the article and for me i see no reason why i should buy a poorly made fram for MORE money then what i can get a AcDelco for.

i know you like Fram. don't be a playa

:lol:

I've always stuck with Delco, but the ol' man uses Fram religiously.. he's never had a problem.

Again, I guess I don't have much credibility here as nothing we have stays in the garage after 100k :?

Ok heres one. Grandpa uses fram and he's pushing 200k on his 4.3 Chev and whatever the hell kinda Ford truck he has.

Well just got back from Checker and got 12 quarts of Chevron Supreme for 10 bucks on sale :shock: I also picked up 2 Pennzoil oil filters that I hope are better than Fram's. That should be enough for my Rebuilt engine break in.

Also I got that 2005 Carcepts Checker calendar for a $1.50 and it has some really good deals in there :)

there doing that same calender stuff over at PepBoys. Hey I used the sure grip Fram filters in my Cutlass for about 4yrs :oops: ...not knowing that they were junk :oops: . Now I ride with good ole Delco filters. My next oil change is awaiting this

wheels037.jpg

One thing I might change is the size of my oil filter...PF47 as pictured to a PF52. The PF52 goes in the 3.4 DOHC, but can be used for(as far as I know)3100, 3400, 3800 and I know that there is plenty more(maybe 2.8 & 3.1 :shrug: ).

Yeah danny switch to the pf52. Thats what I'm running in the gtp. Ask for a 2000 4.3L blazer filter if the guys at the dealer need to know.

I live within walking distance to an Autozone...the PF47 is next to the PF52. I try not to ask the guys working there for help, they always seem to confuse me further.

Any updates on the car yet?

My dad was supposed to find out the exact price today but ive been at work and havent talked to him. They said their changing my oil pump because when the rod blew, metal went threw the pump. Hopefully tommorow I will know some more.

Also its supposed to be done December 1st or 2nd. It sucks so bad not having a way to get around. Im stuck here at my house or at my work stranded :x

I want my Regal!!!!

2002 Chevy 2500hd 4x4 6.0 also uses pf52, I would say it holds half a pint more

2.2 S-10 also uses it, Delco filters, batteries and plugs are great quality Imo

I only use Fomoco FL1A filters on my Ford v8's