Engine Knock Sensor - Picture or Detailed Description?

GP1138

Ok, I went out and bought a brand new knock sensor, hoping it'll cure my Code 43 and 13* retarded timing. (Always knew the Luminas were retarded, but didn't think I'd ever own a retarded one...)

Anyway; I can't, for the life of me, locate the knock sensor. I've heard reports that it's on the driver's side of the engine block, below the exhaust manifold, and above the crank sensor. Is this accurate? Would I be able to see it from the bottom? Do I have to just "feel" for it?

Should I go about replacing the Crank Sensor while I'm at it, as well?

One more thing. How would I go about replacing my Throttle Position Sensor with the Throttle Body still attatched to the engine? I've got my Torx bit, but the damn thing isn't in a position where I could get a straight shot at it. Do I have to remove the TB to get at it?

That's where it is. :) Reach up between the trans and block from the bottom.

It's way up there. The connector is a pinch to release. Squeeze the sides to pull off, it comes off in the direction of the wire.

As for as the crank sensor. If you can very gently twist it and pry it out ok change it while your down there. If you break the top off your in for alot of trouble. :evil: :evil:

TPS is easier to just take the two bolts that hold the TB on and rotate it to get to the TPS. Don't have to take the linkedge off. I f you don't tear your gasket you can use it again or what ever you want.

Jud

PASSENGER side of the rear of the engine, right below the exhaust manifold, below the #1 spark plug. (tilt the engine forward it's much easier to get it from the top) Take a 17mm socket to unscrew it after you remove the connector. Beware though, those connectors are known to be brittle and break. They can still be found new at some specialty parts stores. When reinstalling the new one, do NOT apply any anti-sieze to the threads or any sealant (as per GM) don't overtorque it either. I'll get the torque rating for you in a little bit, but it's not high. Maybe 20ish lb/ft

Well.. my hands are covered in Power Steering fluid thanks to the leaky pump I replaced a couple of weeks ago. Now I found the #$^@$@$% knock sensor, but there was no connector on it. Where does that connector come from/go? Also: right in the center of the firewall, there is an elbow of tubing that has had something cut off of it, looks like a smaller tube, and that goes onto a piece of tubing that just sticks about 1" or so out from the firewall. What the hell could this be? Any ideas?

I need a quick answer on this one, guys, I've got to go get the tags renewed on this tonight, so I really need your help. Thanks a lot! I appreciate your quick help already!

The knock sensor uses a large wrench, I do not remember the size. But it is weird and more than likely it will be a bitch to get off.

My bad knock sensor took away like A TON of power. I got beat by a carbed 2.8 Firebird. :lol: And it did throw a 42, and the new sensro fixed it and gave me my power back.

Well.. my hands are covered in Power Steering fluid thanks to the leaky pump I replaced a couple of weeks ago. Now I found the #$^@$@$% knock sensor, but there was no connector on it. Where does that connector come from/go? Also: right in the center of the firewall, there is an elbow of tubing that has had something cut off of it, looks like a smaller tube, and that goes onto a piece of tubing that just sticks about 1" or so out from the firewall. What the hell could this be? Any ideas?

I need a quick answer on this one, guys, I've got to go get the tags renewed on this tonight, so I really need your help. Thanks a lot! I appreciate your quick help already!

Probably the connector was broken off, the wire is part of the harness that runs adjacent to the lower engine mount, in black loom. It should in theory be hanging around that area, resting on or close to the steering rack. If you can find it, and the prong is still intact on the end of the wire (it usually is) put it back onto the knock sensor (smack in the middle of it) see if it's still good.

That tube, as you describe it, is the drain tube for the AC. The way you describe it, it's fine.

Probably the connector was broken off, the wire is part of the harness that runs adjacent to the lower engine mount, in black loom. It should in theory be hanging around that area, resting on or close to the steering rack. If you can find it, and the prong is still intact on the end of the wire (it usually is) put it back onto the knock sensor (smack in the middle of it) see if it's still good.

That tube, as you describe it, is the drain tube for the AC. The way you describe it, it's fine.

KEE-rekt. I just now fixed it. Took a 19mm socket, and came right out, no bitch at all. The broken connector was exactly where you described, Brian, down in the loom, hidden from view, just like the damn sensor itself. :evil:

Right after I posted above, I went and got a good connector from the junkyard and shoved it in my pocket. Spliced them together and away she goes! Now I gotta go get tags for her.

Thanks for all your help, people!!

Holy SHIT that little bugger kills the power!!! I can spin the tires from a stop, pretty damn good! With 206k+ on the clock!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: And I got 'er up to 90mph tonight :oops:

Damn, this is a nice car now. At least going forwards. Transmission is next...