Why the 4T60E doesn't suck to much.

z34_nut

its lasted me well over 200k miles, but i think its finally gone.

under full throttle in first gear, the tranny does nothing but slip. (i just changed my fluid about 2 months ago, and about 3k miles ago)

i did not flush the system, that could have been worse.

but heres the point. it still works under half throttle, or normal driving. but if you want to get on it forget about it.

i'm brining the car into the shop monday night, possibly clutch or the bands. not completely sure.

either way i'm gonna change the filter and fluid on it and see if that cures anything.

my question to you and also to my instuctor when i get it in, is whether or not i should use lucus, or some other auto-tranny fix-it additive.

thanks in advance,

-kyle.

i'd keep on driving the car until the trans slips so badly the car is undrivable, then i'd sell it.

no sense spending what, over a grand on an 11 yr old car with over 200,000 on it.

just my opinion

If something is slipping.....something is broke......a fluid change will NOT cure the problem.

yes i understand that, obviously some-thing is broke, or it wouldn't slip, right?

anyway, like i said, its going on the lift monday night, i'm going to check it out personally, if its to far gone, then fine.

new trans from a junkyard.

i do the labor myself...i never send it to a shop.

it would definatly be alot cheaper to fix the problem then to buy a whole new car, to me, its just not worth junking the car, when it can be fixed for alot cheaper.

so besides all that, i guess i'll keep you posted. i'll take pics of what i find, and so on.

If you feel up to the challenge......and if you can have the car down this much longer..........you might want to try rebuilding the trans. If its only slipping its pry just new clutches and a band with some new seals......its pretty cheap parts wise.

I would take it apart and replace the clutches as soon as you can, that way you wont risk damaging more parts.

Also throw some lucas tranny fix in there to, it makes the clutches swell up and they should grab better.

If you feel up to the challenge......and if you can have the car down this much longer..........you might want to try rebuilding the trans. If its only slipping its pry just new clutches and a band with some new seals......its pretty cheap parts wise.

thats what i was thinking originally.

if i had the time, i would definatly do the 5-speed swap. but its just alot more labor.

so i will be sticking to the 4t60e.

altho its a toss-up between temp. fixing the car and selling it right off, or just to fix it and keep it.

fix it and keep it.

thats what i'm doing, but i think i'm gonna send it to aamco if it needs to be rebuilt, i just don't have the time.

anyway tomorrow is gonna be the decider, and how much and what i will need.

fix it and keep it.

thats what i'm doing, but i think i'm gonna send it to aamco if it needs to be rebuilt, i just don't have the time.

anyway tomorrow is gonna be the decider, and how much and what i will need.

DON'T SEND IT TO AAMCO!! The last transmission AAMCO rebuilt for us had both axle seals leaking enough for the fluid to be gone in about a week...

you'd better be keeping your Z....i mean it's just the tranny. that is what they have tranny shops for. there are a couple 'ma-and-pa' type shops around here that are really good, i'm sure you'd have some around by you as well. i hear that the majority of the cost of rebuilding a tranny is the parts so it can't be that hard to rebuilt one if you got the time. but personally i'd take it somewheres to get done for the amount of time it would pry take you to do it. hell you might as well swap in a getrag 284 if you can find one :wink: your car would be killer then!

I'll second the "don't send your car to aamco" my boss bought a truck that just had a rebuilt tranny from aamco, its been horid, it dosen't shift right, seems slipish. etc.

well i got a refrence from a couple instructers here in school to sendmy car to kidhall and son (some small town garage where the school sends all their cars.)

so i gotta find that place today.

yeah i just said aamco to unsettle a few of you guys, but anyway.