• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Black Adam

• manitcor

• Canada

• TeeJay3800

not sure about the DOHC but for 3400s made 00 or later they can be had for as low as $250-$300 with between 25-30k on them (it depends on where you live, GM is very popular around here). The pre 00 3400s go for 2-400 bucks more.

Figure another $150 if you redo all your gaskets and seals.

i'm so fustrated - all the yards i call say that they dont have a 3400 but they have a 3.4 dohc.

then i ask about the 3800 not supercharged and they call it a 3.8

is it a newyork thing???

I own a 3.4DOHC so you know my vote for engines.

As for problems I nearly encountered them all with my car. The engine is best thing about this car and the most reliable. Stock Alternators are crap, but there is a fix for that. The Timing belt change is something I am really looking forward to because of the Cam Timing mod. It only has to be done every 60K miles anyways. The trans is my biggest gripe but that has nothing to do with the engines being unreliable. That has been fixed now though since ZZP sells a 4t60e that is stronger than stock and cheaper than I paid for my new stock trans.

Bottom line the 3.4DOHC is reliable. Alittle more Maintnence is required but the longer you own this engine, the easier it is too work on. Just don't get attached to your knuckles! :lol:

Also Timing Chains do break, and they can stretch also.. My step dads Dodges Dakota V6 never sees hard driving and before 100K miles his Timing Chain was already stretched enough to jump timing! This has nothng to do with those two engines, just saying they can break and have.

why are '00+ cheaper?

not a clue, 97-99 engines with a decent amount of miles (mine had 22k) go for 800-1100 (I paid 850 for mine). I got a 99 trying to play it safe as far as compatibility (I was the first 5th gen MC to try this). 00+ Engines in the area were going for 300-400 less with the same miles. :?

I dont know why as they are mostly the same exepct for the plenum. They just are.

• 2 weeks later...

my parents just got a brand new 04 Rendevouz (sp?) and it's slower than my Z, lol

the 3400 gets about 32MPG, and my Z gets about 28 - 30MPG

3.4 takes 1 more quart of oil than a 1993 chevy 350...

I've got 180,000 km and the water pump just went, and still have the factory alt.

timing belt looks in pretty good shape

all I gotta do to it, is suspension fixes ;)

steel leaf spring is only $170 canadian, compared to $880 for the factory replacement :D

now though since ZZP sells a 4t60e that is stronger than stock and cheaper than I paid for my new stock trans.

i thought zzp, intense and the like only sold the 4t65e

Guest TurboSedan
i found a 3400 from a flipped over 99 gp

it goes for 900

plus i'm gonna do the front and rear brake conversion off of it

that is WAY too much. they are going for $200 on ebay, and i've found one with 37,000 miles locally for $400

i found a 3400 from a flipped over 99 gp

it goes for 900

plus i'm gonna do the front and rear brake conversion off of it

that is WAY too much. they are going for $200 on ebay, and i've found one with 37,000 miles locally for $400

yeah i'm in NYC and no yard i went to had them or mistook what i was asking for as 3.4 dohc

is it still available or did you swipe it up??