3.4 vs 3400

Black Adam

looking to make engine swap and i've ruled out 3800.

don't know much about these engines except there are some definately strong opinions about both so i need some direction

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Black Adam

• manitcor

• Canada

• TeeJay3800

3400 is the best way to go, the 3.4 (LQ1) is a HIGH maintenence engine, and doesn't offer much for performance mod's without making them yourself, where as the 3400 has a nice list of aftermarket mods.

Not sure of all the donor vehicles, but I know the Montana (minivan) had it, as well the newer Grand Am's had it too - I'm sure other cars got it, but I don't know which ones off the top of my head.

--Dave

3400s are SFI and MPFI. SFI is a fuel economy mode used when idiling and crusing. The PCM switches to MPFI mode when you go WOT.

3400s can be found in: 97+ GrandAM SE, GT, Olds Alero, Chevy Venture, Pontiac Montana and 00+ Monte Carlo LS (i think there are a couple others just cant think of them now)

I reccomend getting an engine from an 00+ car as they tend to be much cheaper than 97-99 engines. To maintain your EGR you will need a plenum from a 97-99 engine though. If your car is a 95 or earlier you will need an adapter plate for the EGR.

3400s can be found in: 97+ GrandAM SE, GT, Olds Alero, Chevy Venture, Pontiac Montana and 00+ Monte Carlo LS (i think there are a couple others just cant think of them now)

It can also be found in the Oldsmobile Silhuette, Pontiac Aztek, and Buick Rendezvous. Also, it's 99+ Grand Am's. The 96-98's got the 3100.

3400s are SFI and MPFI. SFI is a fuel economy mode used when idiling and crusing. The PCM switches to MPFI mode when you go WOT.

I've never heard that before....interesting.

Actually, if your car is an OBD-II, you can use the 2000+ EGR.....I am.

true but most times if your 96-99 its cheaper to get the older style plenum to fit your current egr than to get ahold of an 00+ egr.

Good deals are alwayds to be had if you search the yards though.

http://www.car-part.com

actually not, as far as parts go you would need to change out the PCM and a few other items, but then Im not 100% sure as I wouldnt want a DOHC. 3400 is a direct swap, the only real issue is the EGR.

3400 has a better aftermarket too

if it were a matter soley on engine...3.4lt i would say. i dunno whats easier to find/install/repair but the 3.4lt has more high end power. its fun watchin civics pull of the line and get cocky...then blow by them.

sides...i have the 3.4. did you expect me to say something different?

i've done both. i swapped in a 3.4 dohc, then a 3400. i say it depends on your maintenance budget and your skills.

the timing belt, infamous 4 hour alternator change are reasons against the dohc. the 3400 is easier to work on. i havent driven the 3400 yet so i cant compare how the two feel. the dohc has excellent feel in the high rpm range but its kinda wasted on a heavy-ass w-body. in a lighter car it would be a dream. they are both pretty much drop in swaps. both can use your existing harness. ideally you would have a custom chip burned for the 3400 to make it run at its potential, which costs money. the 3.4 can run a dohc chip out of a junkyard car because it was available and out there, as opposed to a 3400 mpfi conversion.

actually not, as far as parts go you would need to change out the PCM and a few other items, but then Im not 100% sure as I wouldnt want a DOHC. 3400 is a direct swap, the only real issue is the EGR.

:withstupid: ...i've been thinkin about the 3400 swap into my cutty...and i've been talkin to manitcor about what's involved and it seems like a pretty nice swap!...i also know from EXPERIENCE that the 3400 will get down the highway!...my mom has one in her '02 alero and it'll rip the tires up..HELL, i smoked a '03 V-6 Mustang!!! :lol:...and besides, i've worked on some of those 3.4's and they're a BITCH to work on!! ...so, HOPEFULLY i'll be swapping my 3100 out for the 3400 sometime!...just my 2 cents...

:withstupid: ...i've been thinkin about the 3400 swap into my cutty...and i've been talkin to manitcor about what's involved and it seems like a pretty nice swap!...i also know from EXPERIENCE that the 3400 will get down the highway!...my mom has one in her '02 alero and it'll rip the tires up..HELL, i smoked a '03 V-6 Mustang!!! :lol:...and besides, i've worked on some of those 3.4's and they're a BITCH to work on!! ...so, HOPEFULLY i'll be swapping my 3100 out for the 3400 sometime!...just my 2 cents...

my dohc can take v6 stangs. some kid with a 89 4banger stang wants to race me. he thinks my car is a buick. lmao.

3.4 definatly a bitch to work on and does have a few kinks but its got so much power...i love it. one of my favorite engines...ever.