3.4 vs 3400

Black Adam

nahh it wont break, ive never heard of that happening either, but its good to do after ALOT of miles as it does slack over time.

A loose timing chain is one of the big reasons older 3.1 pushrods seem to loose thier grunt they had when they were young.

IIRC there is a way to modify the DOHC to use a double roller chain as opposed to a belt. I remeber seeing that somewhere.

you find that double roller chain page and get back to me...id love to see that.

as for the 3.4 with a manual...in the words of a MN buddy, "its OVERRATED." in a w-body atleast.

maintenance wise...ill take the extra time it takes to change the alternator (4 hours max) and to change a timing belt (easily a day job with beer and bullshit) over the 3100.

my GTP is in pieces right now because while fixing the intake gaskets, i decided to polish my plenum and front cam cover. since that takes time, my car hasnt run for 3 weeks. so i drive my old '94 SE with the 3100 and miss the 'thrust' the DOHC gets around 3700 RPMs. so much more enjoyable to drive than the 3x00 pushrods.

just my .02

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Black Adam

• manitcor

• Canada

• TeeJay3800

as for the 3.4 with a manual...in the words of a MN buddy, "its OVERRATED." in a w-body atleast.

I think any car with a manual is way more fun. Considering a modified 3.4 w/ 5-speed I had a ride in impressed the hell out of me compared to 2 1995 Z34s I've test drove that felt slow, I think there is a difference, but I really don't know anything about those engines.

I lost a timing chain in a lumina - with a 3.1 too - they WILL break eventually, after 197k miles it went - toasted the upper half of the motor as they are interference engines when the lifters are all pumped up.

I also lost a timing chain in a 3.0 (90 degree engine) many many years ago ... also, took out all my valves.

--Dave.

I agree it is overrated, but I still think 3.4/5-speeds have to be the most fun w-bodies to drive. I'd still rather have a 3.1/5-speed, but those 3.4's are dying for a manual.

I'd still rather have a 3.1/5-speed, but those 3.4's are dying for a manual.

:confused:

Meaning: I would much rather have a 3.1 with a 282, than any 3.4 (because I prefer the 3.1 hands down). The 3.4 may be more "fun" to most people because of the high RPM power; and that kind of power is best utilized through a lower-geared manual.

ok i will put in my 2cents since i have the 3.4dohc and my buddy has the 3400..

Reliablility and easy maitnence is screaming from the 3400

maitnence is a bit more of a chore with the dohc but easy after you have done it once or twice.

If your going for performance then the 3.4dohc is the way to go. the 3400 can also be made fast with a turbo/blower setup. I would expect the dohc have better results from a turbo or blower.. its basicly your call.

I agree with Canada, the upper manifold isnt 2 bad to take off after you know what your looking for. the first time it took about an hour. the second and 3rd only took a little over 10 mins. The hardest part is disconnecting the coolant line going to the intake manifold b/c there isnt enough room for your hand and you gotta get long plyers to get at it

ok i will put in my 2cents since i have the 3.4dohc and my buddy has the 3400..

Reliablility and easy maitnence is screaming from the 3400

maitnence is a bit more of a chore with the dohc but easy after you have done it once or twice.

If your going for performance then the 3.4dohc is the way to go. the 3400 can also be made fast with a turbo/blower setup. I would expect the dohc have better results from a turbo or blower.. its basicly your call.

I agree with Canada, the upper manifold isnt 2 bad to take off after you know what your looking for. the first time it took about an hour. the second and 3rd only took a little over 10 mins. The hardest part is disconnecting the coolant line going to the intake manifold b/c there isnt enough room for your hand and you gotta get long plyers to get at it

I have it down to about 20 minutes. As for that coolant line, i replaced the stock clamp with a screw on type clamp. Makes it sooo much easier.

I have to agree with some people here and say the 3.4 DOHC is the way to go.

I use to have a 97 GT with a 3800II and now I have a 92 STE with the 3.4DOHC. I personaly think the 3.4 is a much more fun engine! I love the 3.4 minus the repair isssue's its a great peppy motor. The only thing I've replaced because it broke was the alternator and my car has 304,000KM on it. I did all the regular maintanince stuff also, as long as you take your time and have patience its not that hard to work on.

Guest TurboSedan

i'd take the DOHC. i really like the 3400, but i think i have enough mechanical ability to take on the 3.4 and they have more potential. the only downside is limited space in the engine bay for a turbo setup (but we already know it's more than possible). i'd need a 5-speed in there though! i'd love to have a GTP just like Canada's.

I've also done the screw type hose clamp mod.....not only is the stock clamp a bitch, but as far as clamping ability is concerned....its a weak dick. At least in my experience, they tend to leak.

My Grand Prix isn't a GTP..........only a lowly SE. :P

As far as room for a turbo? There is plenty.......once you get the battery in the trunk.......and remember.......you don't have the nasty airbox in the way with a turbocharged setup.........there is PLENTY of room to work with....even for a big FMIC.

Guest TurboSedan

As far as room for a turbo? There is plenty.....

oh i know :) i've seen timg's full T4 Monte up close in person and it is impressive. and trust me, a ride in the passenger seat is beyond impressive.

As far as room for a turbo? There is plenty.....

oh i know :) i've seen timg's full T4 Monte up close in person and it is impressive. and trust me, a ride in the passenger seat is beyond impressive.

:) Thanks.

Tim

not yet. I've been promising them for a long time, but I really haven't had the chance to go racing. If you're around the CO area still, I could probably give you a ride later this year. Right now the Monte is at my parents house in SD and I have no idea where I'll be working.

Tim