• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Black Adam

• manitcor

• Canada

• TeeJay3800

Actually, if your car is an OBD-II, you can use the 2000+ EGR.....I am.

true but most times if your 96-99 its cheaper to get the older style plenum to fit your current egr than to get ahold of an 00+ egr.

Good deals are alwayds to be had if you search the yards though.

http://www.car-part.com

Most of the time EGR valves come with the motor (mine did)......unless the junkyard is seriously stripping the motor.

I own a car with both motors......one with an automatic.....and the other with a manual.

I haven't been able to line each car up against the other yet. BUT....the Grand Prix "feels" quicker........maybe due to the better gearing, more effcient trans, and more power........even with its extra weight........just from daily driving, the GP feels like it would hand the Beretta its ass.

Honestly fellas everyone makes great arguments for both engines- and i really like the fact that youz gave personal experiences with the replies.

I really like the idea of the power with the 3.4, but i'm 34 with a kid on the way so racing on the boulevard is a thing of the past.

Still would be f'n cool though :twisted:

I guess it does depend a lot on your usage................

The Beretta is my daily driver............the Grand Prix however, is my "project car" (for a lack of a better term).........while neither are exactly quick compared to others, they do hold their own for no more than what they are.

I can see upgrading a 3.1 to a 3400, but going from 3100 to 3400 is kinda pointless (unless you NEED a new engine). Theres what, less than a second difference in the 1/4 mile between the 2 engines in the same sized car? I know that N-bodies usually run mid-high 15s w/3400 and 3100 w-bodies high 16s-low 17s right?

The reasons for my swap........

-Its my daily driver.

-I bought a 2k mile motor for $345.

-Its quick and cheap to do..........3 days and $200.

-I have gone from getting smoked to smoking cars.......even though its still slow.

-Why not?

William, could you state reason why someone shouldn't swap in a 3400 in place of a 3100?

I'm really not a gear head, so i looked over the site to find what engines everyone was talking about and 3.4, 3400 and 3800's came up-

I left out the 3800 because of price (new york/jersey=$1,500-hell no! not for a v6 in a 92 lumi)

I honestly didn't think about a 3500 because i don't know anything about it, or anyone on the site hasn't talked about it --much

the 3500 and 3900 are 60* engines, basiclly gen4 60v6 engines. The 3500 seems under powered for what it is and I dont see much of an aftermarket ever getting behind it. Also no one has really tried to swap it. Ive driven the new Malibu with the 3.5 and its OK but does not hold a candle to the 3400.

The 3900 is a tech nology monster and I hope to get my hands on one eventually Variable Valve Timing, Varible Intake Runners, Displacement on demand. 240hp at 5800rpm and 245 ftlbs of torque at 2800RPM (IIRC). This engine is going to rock but wont be out till later next year :cry:

As for DOHCs and thier famous topend, Ive found the pushrods (espicaclly the 3400) have the capibility to have great topend as well. You gotta have headers though :wink: Where the DOHC have that power out of the box.

It does come down to personal preference but also look at the application, in comparing the 2 if you want the faster motor out of the box and dont intend on doing mods then perhpas the DOHC is the way to go (Maintence issues aside) however if your looking to build up an engine and want to mod alot the 3400 is a better option due to the larger aftermarket.

headers for the 3400?!?! Really...

Headers and a car seat

:cry:

yup S&S & TOG make them, a bit of a pain to make them fit in a W since they are made for the GA but I made them fit :wink:

what real problems does the 3.4 have other then timing belts and alternators?

as i see it the 3.4 isn't really an unreliable engine it's just 10 times harder to work on...hence people putting off the problems until there engine goes bye bye :lol:

The timing belt doesn't fail......its just part of normal maintence.

Normal maintenance that you don't have to worry about on a pushrod motor.

not 100% true, we do need to replace the timing chain but it will last 150000+ miles

The timing belt doesn't fail......its just part of normal maintence.

Normal maintenance that you don't have to worry about on a pushrod motor.

not 100% true, we do need to replace the timing chain but it will last 150000+ miles

I've never heard of a timing chain breaking. Or of anybody replacing one.

nahh it wont break, ive never heard of that happening either, but its good to do after ALOT of miles as it does slack over time.

A loose timing chain is one of the big reasons older 3.1 pushrods seem to loose thier grunt they had when they were young.

IIRC there is a way to modify the DOHC to use a double roller chain as opposed to a belt. I remeber seeing that somewhere.

timing chains do break, but it's rare. you really have to neglect and totally beat on an engine to break them though

my buddy picked up a free Caviler 2.2 with a broken timing chain.

so many people think the 3.4 dohc is hard to work on. and so what u gotta change your t-belt every 40-60k miles. the alt is a 2 hour job max on a raining day on the side of the road with half the car in a ditch. whoever said the 3400 makes more torque is wrong, the dohc just makes more of it at a higher rpm. its acctually easier to work on then a pushrod motor in alot of ways. plugs are easier to change. intake gaskets are easier cause u don't gotta remove as much junk. going below that yes there is more work to do a headgasket but how often do those go? if u ask me it sounds liek we got a bunch of rookies here. i do think the 3400 gets better gas mileage though. but just go with what u want cause i'm not gunna suggest one or teh otehr

Well, he is right.

If you go by sheer ratings.......

-3.4L DOHC (LQ1) (all at 5200 rpm)

91-93 Automatics...200 hp

91-93 Manuals...210 hp

94-95...210 hp

96-97...215 hp

They all where rated at 215 ft-lbs @ 4k rpm.

Here is a dyno chart of a stock 3.4L DOHC mated to a Getrag 284....

3.4L%20DOHC%205%20speed%20dyno.jpg

-3400 SFI (LA1)

Things get a bit weird.....depending on what year and chasis the motor was in. All numbers seem to point to 180 hp @ 5200 rpm and 205 ft-lbs @ 4k rpm. I think 175 hp and 200 ft-lbs is more like actual power.

I do not have a dyno chart of a stock 3400.....do you?

As far as maintance and repair goes...........I'm actually finding the 3.4 DOHC easier to work on. I can have the upper intake off in 15 min....lower isn't far off.