ABS problem.

MaroonRegal

actually there's 5 speed sensors that the ABS uses - it uses one on each wheel, and the trans-speed sensor (also used for the speedometer)

the only way to check this is to throw a scan tool on it and watch each wheel speed - test a couple times slammin' on the brakes (with the scan tool hooked up)

you can go into more testing after that if you need to.

--Dave.

Could be something as simple as a wire thats loosened from the harness plug that goes into hub bearing sensor.

If it wiggles in position and makes a connection. Breaking contact would send improper data to the brain unit causing it to think a loss of traction exists and thereby forcing it to react in a like manner.

The sensors are located wthin the bearing housings. The rear ones are very easy to check. Just remove one of the rear wheels and take a look at the wire that runs atop of the trailing arm to the sensor. Give it a very slight tug to test if it is secure. The rear ones would be suspect since you have moisture kicked up from the front of the car hitting in those areas.

That happens to me too - or at least it used to, hasn't for awhile. That's not what I'm talkin' about, though. This is new. The ABS are actually engaging on dry pavement.

first things first. ABS works best on dry pavement.

then gravel, or sand

then rain

then snow being the worst

the reason it will come on and off is because the wheel speed sensors will read a different speed for a second and the light will some-times come on.

that will stay on for about 5 minutes untill the ABS modual will recognize nothing is wrong.

another way to do it is to get a scanner and diagnose it to make sure you wheel speed sensors are ok. if not, check your plugs and bleed the ABS system.

make sure you know the steps of bleeding our ABS systems before you do it.

or hell post if you want the correct procedure. i'll give it to you.

then gravel, or sand

then rain

wouldn't it be the other way around? my brakes are so weak the abs won't even engage on dry pavement.

Your ABS light comes ON when the ABS activates???

Usually the ABS light will come on to indicate a problem, not to show that it is functioning. The 'Low Trac' light is obviously supposed to come on, but not the ABS light.

then gravel, or sand

then rain

wouldn't it be the other way around? my brakes are so weak the abs won't even engage on dry pavement.

nope, think about it for a second, you come to a stop alot quicker on dry pavement, then you ever will on wet, or snow covered.

also, your ABS light only indicates a problem.

it will come on if theres a malfunction, when the light comes on, the ABS goes out, and you only have power assist brakes w/o ABS>