Black ice sucks balls

fleetwoodguy79

Well coming home over a bridge last night and hit some black ice. Car slid and hit a gaurdrail in the rear, then swung around and got the front. The front isnt bad at all, it sounded and felt like it did more damage than it did. Totally fucked up my alignment (which I had JUST gotten done), put a hole in my tire 2" thick (want to take a picture of it), bent and cracked my rim all to hell so I have to find a new one, and they are NOT cheap! It hit the tire and rim i think, so there is no body damage. I wont beable to get it in til monday, but do you all think it did any more damage? Could I be looking at bent axle/totalled car here?? Drive safely everyone! Don't know how it is elsewhere, but in Indiana its ice and snow everywhere! Be safe and happy holidays to everyone...

Sorry to hear about that. I know the feeling. I just drove back from Calgary not too long ago. A little bit crazy in the mountains over Alberta with some of the snow out there, but overall it's not too bad. Send some pics of the damage!

Ah, lovely black ice. That shit almost claimed the life of my Euro when I still had it driving home from work one night. Was rounding a curve up a steep hill, and I thought something happened to my steering, cuz I couldn't steer anywhere, so I just slowed down and rode it out. PA winters suck.

Aaron

I was fartin around on icey blacktop going up a steep hill at my work; it goes up and makes a left curve. I was gassing it and watching the speedo spin up. I guess I got up more speed than I'd planned because the wieght of the car didn't slow it down much by the time I got to the curve. I didn't CURVE!

I lined up my front right wheel parallel with the curb and hit. The front hit and rebounded then the back. Back was fine but I broke my hubcap and ground down the edges of the cheap steel wheel. For the first time I was glad to have cheap steel wheels. The front tire is a little cheapy job and grunged a little. My rear Datona grunged some of the white lettering but all in all it seems to have survived unscathed....other than the hubcap.

My outer tie rods need replacing already and I haven't noted any shimmy or other trouble.

So.. fotunate me. My son and I were practicing backup....cut wheels and gas it, spins in a snowy parking lot yesterday. These are the only times I miss rear wheel drive. My son is six. Lamenting about rear wheel spins is like explaining record albums. They're still around but nobody you know has one.