Stuck Emergency Brake On The Loomie - Solutions?

1990 Lumina Euro Coupe

I changed the spark plugs on the Loomie today, and of course had to apply the emergency brake so that I could roll the engine forward to get to the back plugs.

Now that I am finished, I pull the release lever and - nothing. :?

Is this a common problem with W's, and does anyone know the most easy way to release it? As is stands now, the car is stuck down at the bottom of my driveway.

I can troubleshoot it myself, but thought I would first see if any member has run into the same problem.

Thanks!

At least yours works.. I noticed the pedal says "Pump to Set".. I was pumping for 10 minutes, and finally realized that the ebrake just may be broken.. Pump to set my ass.. :roll:

this hapiened to me before, just grab a pair of vice grips, pull the wheel and manualy reset the parking brake

Which side is the release cable on? If I recall correctly, drivers side rear?

When my parking brake sticks I just slide under the car and hammer the parking brake lever where the cable attaches(one on each caliper;usually the left one sticks). Just don't miss and hit the brake hose!

ha, yeah a long time ago my friend's parents 98 caravan's parking brake got stuck, i dont know how he got it unstuck, alls i know is that he crawled under the van and hit something :lol:

mines never been used and has rusted, and my mechanic said dont touch it otherwise it will stick.

When my parking brake sticks I just slide under the car and hammer the parking brake lever where the cable attaches(one on each caliper;usually the left one sticks). Just don't miss and hit the brake hose!

I press down with large bar (or crowbar) when it locked up on my 88.. although it was actually the caliper I think.. needless to say I don't ever use the e-brake on that thing!

I changed the spark plugs on the Loomie today, and of course had to apply the emergency brake so that I could roll the engine forward to get to the back plugs.

Now that I am finished, I pull the release lever and - nothing. :?

Is this a common problem with W's, and does anyone know the most easy way to release it? As is stands now, the car is stuck down at the bottom of my driveway.

I can troubleshoot it myself, but thought I would first see if any member has run into the same problem.

Thanks!

It could be the ratchet that is messed up. On my 92.....i can pull it sometimes and it wont release....for whatever reason the lever to pull it doesnt return all the way, so I have to push the "release" lever in....then it enganges and a I can pull it out to release the e brake.

If your ratchet itself is messed up. disconnect the brake cable from the ratchet cable underneath the car on the drivers side and tape them to tbe chassis until you can fix or find another ratchet.