Replacing rotors?

HokemBokem

Hey all my rotors on my 96 buick regal are messed up and cause the car to shake when i apply the brake, I was wondering if i bought new ones could i replace them myself or would i need to take it in?

do the 94+ brakes use the torx bolts?

If so make sure you have the right bit before you attempt changing them

Yep they sure do. Torx T60 if I'm not mistaken. Brackets, calipers, and bolts are the same between the 88-93's and 94-96's...

sometimes the two main caliper bolts are a bitch to break free so you might want to spray them with some pb booster or whatever you prefer. Any extra leverage you can get on them will help you out a ton. Also if your going to change you pads you need a special tool to decompress the piston inside the calipers. I have used needle nose pliars, but if your taking that route I'm sure a few bad words might slip out :lol:

mine were damn hard to get off...

I used a bar clamp and a piece of wood to compress the pistons...I spouted off a few choice words while attempting that

but last but not least tighten the bolts as hard as possible I had one fall off going down the highway

Guest TurboSedan
Brackets, calipers, and bolts are the same between the 88-93's and 94-96's...

i assume you're talking about the rear brakes since you differentiate between '88-'93 and '94-'96. the '88-'93 rear calipers, brackets and bolts are NOT the same as '94-'96.

Guest TurboSedan
I have used needle nose pliars, but if your taking that route I'm sure a few bad words might slip out :lol:

lol i used a needle nose pliers too (as a spanner wrench to turn/compress the piston back in). god what a bitch that was....a very slow process :?

HokemBokem - replacing the pads and rotors is very easy and straightforward. breaking the T60 bolts free on the front calipers and compressing the pistons back in for new pads will probably be the hardest part. fortunately, you have the '94+ rear brakes which are MUCH easier to work on. the '88-'93 rear brakes are kind of a bitch compared to the newer style rear brakes.

Brackets, calipers, and bolts are the same between the 88-93's and 94-96's...

i assume you're talking about the rear brakes since you differentiate between '88-'93 and '94-'96. the '88-'93 rear calipers, brackets and bolts are NOT the same as '94-'96.

I'm talking about the fronts. The rotors and knuckles changed mid way through 95, but the calipers, caliper mounting brackets, and all bolts are the same from 88-96. I recently put on a bracket from a 92 Cutty (driver's side) on the passenger side of my Loomie. Parts were identical...

As far as compressing the piston(s) on the front calipers, I bought a special piston compressing tool. I leave in the inboard pad and use the tool to press against the pad (and therefore the pistons.) Be sure you suck out some fluid from the master cylinder (I take a gigantic squirt bottle, squeeze out all the air, and stick the end of it in the brake fluid so it will draw the fluid into the bottle.)