Underhood paint question *not detail paint*

90TGP

Ok, for us TGP owners, we know about the intense amount of heat that is given off by the turbo, cross-x, and motor. A lot of use have raggy underhood heat blankets [that big black mat]. I have an idea.

Would it be possible to remove the hood mat and just coat the under side of the hood with a high-temp paint, like engine paint and high temp clear coat? That way I could loose the heavy mat and still keep the hood from fading from the heat. Of course it would be professionally done. Or would just regular paint be enough for the heat?

Has anyone removed their hood blanket?

If you are looking for less weight, better to look elsewhere as the hood pad only weights about 10 ounces, maybe a few more when they get soaked with power steering fluid. I have had a few off (got one off right now/new one going on soon) and pretty light pieces as its make of spun fiberglass. If you are just looking to replace the ragged liner, no more new TGP hood louvered specific ones left, but I got 2 for the regular NA hoods and see no problem trimming to fit, will find out in about 2 weeks if it does works out that way.

Jeff M

Yea I took mine off but put a new one on. :lol: The one I got was an N/A with like a parting line to cut out for the louvers. Prety easy to cut and put on. As I remember it was 36.00.

Jud