how to remove rev. limiter??

pimpinprix94

i would like to know how to remove the rev. limiter on my '94 grand prix 3100. i know on the cavalier 3.1's you have to buy a performance chip but im not sure if its the same on the 3100's. if so do you know of any performance chips that will remove it....i find it quite annoyning that in netrual and park the car will only rev. up to 4000 RPM when it redlines at 5500. thanks.

Brad

dude...just roll the car forward at like 5 or 10 MPH and the rev limiter changes to like 5500... try it...put the car in Drive, and get it rolling, then slip it into neutral and floor the gas....if it still limits at 4k, then go a tiny bit faster...you don't have to be moving too fast to do it.....mind you, i think its kinda dumb to do this...but if you must strike fear in people's ears with the menacing growl of the all-powerful 3100 :shock: ...... :roll: then that's a really cheap and easy way to do it.

YK

i would like to know how to remove the rev. limiter on my '94 grand prix 3100. i know on the cavalier 3.1's you have to buy a performance chip but im not sure if its the same on the 3100's. if so do you know of any performance chips that will remove it....i find it quite annoyning that in netrual and park the car will only rev. up to 4000 RPM when it redlines at 5500. thanks.

Brad

Brazil, IN, eh?

Im in Terre Haute. Anyway, yeah, that rev limiter is there for a reason when in park/neutral.

The best bet is to upgrade to ODBII and get a DHP, there is a company out there that does ODBI flashes but I have heard nothing but bad stories about them.

Getting a DHP will also increase your powerband, remove your speed limiter, and raise your shift points. Your rev limiter will not be removed as it is a saftey feature to keep you from blowing the engine. In park you hit at 4k rpm, rolling youll hit it between 5500 and 6000 depending on the car.

Or switch to the OBD1 memcal ECM from an A body that is 3100. Of course you still have to be able to read the code but who knows, maybe its a known code. Or you can use a 3.1 chip reprogrammed for the 3100. Basically your stock computer is a non supported setup and you will have to swap to do what you want to it.

The highest I would set the rev limiter is 6200 rpm.......according to the GMPP catalog, thats the highest for the valve train. However, there really isn't a reason to be reving that high anyways.....its not like there is actually power made there.

The highest I would set the rev limiter is 6200 rpm.......according to the GMPP catalog, thats the highest for the valve train. However, there really isn't a reason to be reving that high anyways.....its not like there is actually power made there.

exactly, moving your shift points to 5800 is the best your going to get with a stock engine. Now if you rebuild there is the possibility of having a hihg revving street beast with a 7000+ rpm redline, but your talking a lot of work/research/time/money/etc

The best bet is to upgrade to ODBII and get a DHP, there is a company out there that does ODBI flashes but I have heard nothing but bad stories about them.

Getting a DHP will also increase your powerband, remove your speed limiter, and raise your shift points. Your rev limiter will not be removed as it is a saftey feature to keep you from blowing the engine. In park you hit at 4k rpm, rolling youll hit it between 5500 and 6000 depending on the car.

Would a DHP for an OBDII 3100 (which i'm guessing is 97+) work with a 1996 obdii 3100?

Would a DHP for an OBDII 3100 (which i'm guessing is 97+) work with a 1996 obdii 3100?

it will actually work on all 96+ ODBII, a buddy of mine installed on in his 96, plugs right in and goes. Must be a 3100/4t60e combination however if you dont want to change anything else to make it work.

what about a 95 3100, im pretty stupid when it comes to these things..and just want some more power..im very interested in this..like i said i have no clue about this stuff..any info would be great.

exactly, moving your shift points to 5800 is the best your going to get with a stock engine.

According to my anal retentive roomate (BIGBULS), ideal shiftpoints for a stock 3100 are 5850 rpm 1-2, 5700 rpm 2-3, and 5500 rpm 3-4 (not that you'll be able to get this high even if you didn't have a governor............3100s just don't have the power......stock).

But thats only if you are super anal. ;)

it will actually work on all 96+ ODBII, a buddy of mine installed on in his 96, plugs right in and goes. Must be a 3100/4t60e combination however if you dont want to change anything else to make it work.

This is contary to what DHP has told me for quite sometime........they seem to think 96s PCMs are completely different from 97+.

BUT.

Now that we have a '96 Monte Carlo application, I wonder if they weren't BSing me.

Of course I have a Beretta and maybe they just didn't want to deal with me (I do have different gearing and tires....so my shiftpoints will be slightly different) OR they didn't have any previous 96 work at the time.

This is contary to what DHP has told me for quite sometime........they seem to think 96s PCMs are completely different from 97+.

BUT.

Now that we have a '96 Monte Carlo application, I wonder if they weren't BSing me.

Of course I have a Beretta and maybe they just didn't want to deal with me (I do have different gearing and tires....so my shiftpoints will be slightly different) OR they didn't have any previous 96 work at the time.

all this has come to pass in the last few months, yes 96 is different but they have done it now.

Bigbuls is an anal ass, tell him Im gonna ban him from MM for shits and giggles :lol:

A 3100 will get up that far, but not the ones with the old style intakes and the stamped rockers.

Or you could be like me, and make plans to save up, and swap in an L67....sure it might take a while....and sure, I might go a month without my car while I'm working on it...but its SO going to be worth it in the end... all my friends with their faster, expensive cars won't have SHIT on an L67...correct?

That depends.....if you leave the L67 stock......you *only* have a high 14 second car on your hands.....with some bolt-ons you should have a nice mid 13 second car if your trans can hold it together.

Well, the engine will already be out, so an extra 2 or 3 weeks of saving up and spending on mods shouldn't be a problem...especially when they'll be that much easier to do...Plus a 13 second car is more than good enough to take on a new 1.8T Audi and a turbo eclipse...among other things... right?

1.8T huh? *cough* slow *cough* i guess that depends what car its in...if its in an audi or vw sedan its slow but if its in the GTI its pretty quick...depends on what kind of turbo eclipse your talkin about 1g or 2g or if it is stock...any turbo eclipse stock would most likely lose to a swapped stock L67...the stock turbo on a 2g eclipse is horseshit (T25 :lol:) but the 1g eclipse stock turbo can take it into the 11s(AWD of course) with simple cheap mods

1.8T huh? *cough* slow *cough* i guess that depends what car its in...if its in an audi or vw sedan its slow but if its in the GTI its pretty quick...depends on what kind of turbo eclipse your talkin about 1g or 2g or if it is stock...any turbo eclipse stock would most likely lose to a swapped stock L67...the stock turbo on a 2g eclipse is horseshit (T25 :lol:) but the 1g eclipse stock turbo can take it into the 11s(AWD of course) with simple cheap mods

Not sure about the eclipse but its modded to hell...the kid even has like corporate racing sponsorships...its an AWD... and the 1.8T is in a 2005 A4 with the CVT....so in sport mode, it revs up to 6K and stays there, the gear ratio changes smoothly...doesn't need to shift...continuously variable...