Windshield Fogging>>>

Mac

I have noticed since getting my '90 CS...that I have a problem with the inside of the windshield fogging up. It is never to the point that I can't see out of it, but sometimes it gets to what I would consider bad...is there any reason why this is happening or a way to solve the problem??? Thanks for any help..

Actually...I have been using the air conditioner and NOT the heater. It has been in the low to mid 80's during the day and the high 60's to low 70's for the lows...and I have not noticed any leakage at all...although I will keep my eye open a little more now. :D

the n-body is not fun at all either on a heater core. as we got to do this in my friends 92 grand am SE sport coupe with the 3300. was not fun at all.

i also have a little fogging, but only in the morning after it has sat all night. it has been pretty bad this summer as far as condensation goes on the outside of the windows. most days there is a layer or condensation on the outside of the car when i get up to go to work. i leave my house at 630 am or so.

some days when i start the car it fogs the inside of the windshield somedays it does not.

so any other oprions as to what could cause this?

Monty

I am not sure what exactly causes this however I think it is very common for the W body. I had a 1993 Cutlass that did this, my mom had a 96 Cutlass that did this, I now have a 91 Cutlass and it does it and my friends Z34 did it. Not sure why but I think its normal behaivor for these cars. There is a certain temperature that you can run the defog on to get rid of it but if you don't get the exact temp it won't do anything or actually get worse.

jason

Hey what up guys. New to the group. But been on Mymonte for a while.

Anyway, My 95 MC Z does this thru the defog vents when I shut off the air, then shut off the car, and when I restart the car sometings I'll get fog. Especially when its humid out... I figure its a normal function. :wink:

-ern

I had a bad heater core in my 84 Century. Had lots of stop leak in it. Hit the gas hard one night to stay ahead of someone and, "POOF" total thick fogged up windshield. Freaky at night!

And that Century with a 3.0 was not fun to change. I ended up modifying the firewall opening a bit.

OK dude, a simple solution. Get some shampoo, and rub the inside of the windshield down with a thin film of it. Let it dry, then buff it off like wax. I have done this several times, and it works. I learned this from a book about Chuck Yeager. During his attepts to break the sound barrier, the LOX tanks, and altitude made his breath fog the windows so bad he couldn't see to fly. They used Preen Shampoo, but I'm not sure if they even make it any more...

Hmm.. sounds like the you might be recirculating humid air inside your car. Switch to fresh air and see what happens. There's a drain that usually drips condensation from the bottom of your car when the A/C is working hard, check that too. Basically it could be just water vapor that's forming because your compressor kicked on after it was off. The Evaporator is warm at this point and is starting to cool down so the fog forms briefly. I've seen this happen on all kinds of different cars when it is hot AND humid outside. The fog should really go away butiIf it persists than either your low on refrigerant or possible that stuff isn't exactly normal fog. :)

Maybe it is nice, smelly anti-freeze that's leaking from your heater core but that's whole different story......

Take care

In my experience, it has always been caused by moisture in the interior. This can be caused by aleaking heater core (even when using the A/C) or a leak or plugged cowl vent that allows water to enter the cockpit. If your carpet or under your carpet is not wet, it is probably the heater vent.