Turbo downpipe

Jcrow

Does anyone have a picture of a turbo grand prix downpipe? Is it braided? Is it steel pipe? Is there a gasket between the turbo and it? I assume it goes over the top of the transmission?

Guest TurboSedan

i'll post a pic of mine in a few minutes....

but it's actually a solid pipe with a SS braided cover tach welded over the center part of the pipe...no flex joints at all like the crossover pipe has. it "sorta" goes over the top of the transmission where it bolts to the turbo...then kinda goes back around the rear head to the middle part of the firewall like where the NA 3.1 downpipe is. there is a bracket that bolts to the block (i think it bolts to the block anyway) and then a flange that meets up with the 'secondary downpipe' (for lack of a better term). there is no gasket used between the downpipe and the turbocharger. there is a donut type gasket where it meets the 'secondary downpipe'. the first few inches of the downpipe is actually cast iron, and then it goes into steel pipe with the SS braided cover. i'll get a pic posted in a minute....mine still has a foot or so of the secondary downpipe bolted to it.

Guest TurboSedan

this is actually a downpipe i sold a couple months ago; i can't find any pics of the TGP downpipe in my garage right now (with the secondary downpipe bolted to it).

DSC00899.JPG

DSC00900.JPG

DSC00901.JPG

DSC00902.JPG

btw, i think the entire downpipe is actually cast iron.

Just a random/related question, but how many miles were on that downpipe Joshua? Just wondering because mine on the TGP looks brand new w/ 70K on it.

Guest TurboSedan

you'd have to ask eclipse5302 (Jason)...that's who i bought the downpipe in the pictures from (i later sold it to The Burning Rom i think). the one i have in my garage right now looks much much better.

Wow thanks.

Turbo%20-%20John%20Costello.html

I don't know if that image will work if not try this

http://www.intense-racing.com/GTP/Turbo%20-%20John%20Costello.html

Do you really need flex in the x-over pipe?

I have a grand national turbo and a huge volvo intercooler, and i'm waiting for my larger fuel injectors to arrive. So I'm getting excited about how I'm going to plumb all this together.

ABSOLUTELY!!

Jeff M has some phots somewhere showing what happens when a solid x-over is used...not a good thing at all!! 8)

The reason the INTENSE turbo car doesn't have flex-joints in the x-over is because the 3800 SII has cast iron heads. We have aluminum heads that expand/contract more than cast iron will, hence the need for flex-joints in the x-over.

Wow thanks.

Turbo%20-%20John%20Costello.html

I don't know if that image will work if not try this

http://www.intense-racing.com/GTP/Turbo%20-%20John%20Costello.html

I have a grand national turbo and a huge volvo intercooler, and i'm waiting for my larger fuel injectors to arrive. So I'm getting excited about how I'm going to plumb all this together.

What year/model did the Volvo intercooler come out of?

I dont know, I got on Ebay for about $75 its about as big as the radiator. I took out the A/C condensor so hopefully it will fit there.

If it's the 740 intercooler like I think it is, then it *might* fit there...the radiator endtanks might be in the way though, I'll measure my volvo IC(spare from one of my volvos) and then the radiator and eye it a bit since I've been meaning to anyways...it definitely won't be in my TGP though. :lol: Not giving up my ac on this one :wink: , I might on my next TGP though..and I'll probably go w/ an izuzu NPR intercooler or the like since I think I can snag one of those for a decent price.