Easiest way to get at rear spark plugs?

tgpguy21

Im changing my plugs and wires and was wondering what is the easiest way to get to the rear spark plugs? I was thinkin of taking out front dog bones but im not sure if that will really move it with the tranny and all. Any help?

Screw pulling the motor forward, if you have good motor mounts, you'll fight with it for a while, or at least I did.

Just remove the alternator, 3 bolts and it lifts out, set it on the intake plenum, leaving you plenty of room to reach back there and change the plugs. I did that at least 5 or 6 times within the past month trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with my car. I've got the plugs down to a 20 minute job, at the most!

Guest Anonymous
Screw pulling the motor forward, if you have good motor mounts, you'll fight with it for a while, or at least I did.

Just remove the alternator, 3 bolts and it lifts out, set it on the intake plenum, leaving you plenty of room to reach back there and change the plugs. I did that at least 5 or 6 times within the past month trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with my car. I've got the plugs down to a 20 minute job, at the most!

That's how I do it. Last time someone asked and I recommended that way, everyone told me that was too hard. A waste of time. :roll:

Glad someone agrees with me.

Well, I just don't see how removing the alternator alone would give me enough room back there. I mean, the rest of the motor is still way too close to the firewall for my taste. Maybe I just don't have skinny enough arms? :confused:

Try it sometime.. It's MUCH easier to get to them from the side than it is from the top while trying to work around the MAP sensor and the plenum. I could get both my arms, and a 3/8" socket w/ 2 3" extensions back there (with the plug socket), plenty of room. Hell, I'll even get you pictures if you want.

Well i already pulled the motor forward and it took me maybe 10 minutes to get at the spark plugs and get them out. I really dont wanna mess with the alt. so this way works just fine. Thanks for all the Info though guys!!!

Well i already pulled the motor forward and it took me maybe 10 minutes to get at the spark plugs and get them out. I really dont wanna mess with the alt. so this way works just fine. Thanks for all the Info though guys!!!

Yea both work for those that prefer their style. I do the “pull the motor forward†but use a small scissor jack made for this, super easy, just remove one dog bone, replace the other with the scissors and spin the nut till the motor is forward enough that nothing in the back gets in the way, and you get to see much better and inspect that area while you are there for anything in question, good to find things now then wonder what happened later :lol: All the extra room while doing it this way helps avoid missing proper thread alignment and crossthreading a spark plug like some have come here to report :cry:

Jeff M

I fabbed up a cool little tool that bolts in where the dogbone goes this past weekend. It's basically the same thing as what Jeff describes. As far as pulling the Alt, I have to pull the engine forward on my car to do that anyhow, so it's kind of a moot point for me. But if it works, go for it.

Thanks for that I was wondering how I would pull my engine forward with solid mounted engine mounts and urethane tranny and dogbones? I'll try it.

Adam S.