no more URGENT BELT HELP!! FFP UD Pulley review enclosed

Heza

what is the best way to get pressure on the tensioner of a LQ1 serpentine belt??? im trying to put my FFP underdrive pulley on right now and cant get the old belt off! of all things....

yup, youre correct. it doest really matter right now...i cant get the main pulley bolt off and dont have the damn GM special tool to lock the flywheel in place.

why yes...yes i did! i used a vice grip on the fly wheel to stop it from moving and then popped the center bolt loose. after that, i did the other three bolts. got the belt off...after thinking about it and talking to you Shane. i went and got an offset 15 mm box wrench...took my other huge socket for something else and put a 1/2" extension in it to gain leverage. put new pulley on, new belt on, redid all that damn splash shielding and took a test drive.

my observations are:

for those without a FFP UD pulley on the 3.4...get one ASAP. its an easy bolt on now that ive done it. not only does the engine feel peppier throughout the entire RPM band, it actually has a little less of that infamous DOHC lag from 0-40. my next step is to get the FFP dogbone to hopefully attain better engine response.

TWO THUMBS UP FOR FFP ON THIS PRODUCT!

just fyi for you guys, there is a little square hole on the tensioner towards the pulley end that a 3/8" drive fits into. so all you have to do is turn the wrench and the belt comes right off.

of course i have never worked on a 3.4, so i am assuming the tensioner is the same as a 3.1

That doesn't sound right. I used a big wrench, it is like a 18 or 19mm, and just pushed straight down and had a buddy pull the belt off of the PS pump.

That is exactly how i had to do it

the pulley bolt on the tensioner for my 3.4 is a 15 mm. the bolt for the tensioner is 13 mm. i got a 15 mm box wrench, extended it, and took the pulley off and put it on myself.

maybe they made it easier in '96?

well like i said, i've never worked on a 3.4. it's probably different. but on my 3.1 i used a 3/8" ratchet, no socket just the square end. i was able to do that and remove the belt myself with no problem

well like i said, i've never worked on a 3.4. it's probably different. but on my 3.1 i used a 3/8" ratchet, no socket just the square end. i was able to do that and remove the belt myself with no problem

for some reason...the 3.4 tensioner seemed harder to move than the tensioner on my old 3100. it probably is the same...i just thought differently.

yep, 15mm if i remember correctly.

Its exactly 19mm or you can use a 3/4 and if your a little guy you want a cheater bar on your wrench atleast 20inches to make it easy

simple to get the belt off. once you get the wrench on push down in clockwise motion and with your free hand grab the belt off the power steering wheel.

your gonna wanna get a belt atleast 1 inch shorter then stock.. i recomend 2inches shorter to keep it from maxing out the tensioner and get the squeeling sound.

72" belt for '94-97. 71" belt for 91-93. i have a 72" belt and it works great.

Is the 94-97 pulley larger than the 91-93 or is the belt drive different?

not sure, but i think the '94-97 might have a different accessory routing/difference somewhere.