Xenon Headlights

MommyTaz022200

I want to get some of these lights, but have a few ???'s.

1. Someone told my sister when she bought some for her Eclipse not to get the ones that are 100W because they will melt/burn the wiring. I'm not sure how many watts factory bulbs for our cars are. Can anyone tell me if that is true?

2. There are some listed on eBay that are the right bulb numbers but say "Dodge Ram" or some other vehicle. Are these not the same 9006 bulbs ours use?

3. What is the difference between the bulbs listed as 9006 Headlights and 9006 Fog Lights?

definately do not go over the stock wattage (NE one know the stock number?) or else it will only be a matter of time before your wireing gets damaged.

but so far all i have found with those xenon bulbs is that they cast a blue tint on the road, burn out much quicker (friend has had 3 sets in his intrepid so far in a matter of 4 months) can't tell you on the ebay ones but i sure woulden't get em. if anything go pick up a a set of sylvania silverstars.

1. Someone told my sister when she bought some for her Eclipse not to get the ones that are 100W because they will melt/burn the wiring. I'm not sure how many watts factory bulbs for our cars are. Can anyone tell me if that is true?

yes, that is true, IIRC, the stock ones are only 55W....she could always upgrade the wiring to allow for the 100W bulbs

but so far all i have found with those xenon bulbs is that they cast a blue tint on the road, burn out much quicker (friend has had 3 sets in his intrepid so far in a matter of 4 months)

tell your friend to stop touching the bulb itself when he is installing them....

tell your friend to stop touching the bulb itself when he is installing them....
he wasen't, i installed one set once, didn't touch the bulb the entire time, still went out long before it shoulda

If they're 100W, they're not real Xenons. I don't know about burning the wiring, but they're no good. My stepdad put some fake 100W Xenons in his Lincoln Mark VIII. The headlight connectors apparently got hotter than they should, because the connectors were brittle and pieces broke off when I pulled them off the bulbs. They also discolor/burn the chromed reflector, and the blue coating on the bulbs themselves also turned black over time reducing light output and also changing the color back to a more brownish-yellowish.

BTW, real xenons are 35W. Always. You can get real xenons, but it'll cost ya. I got a used kit for $150, but my stepdad bought a brand new kit for the Lincoln Mark VIII and it cost him $300. On the plus side, he says the xenons are a million times better than halogens. Real xenons with halogen-style bases (that fit right into your headlight housings) are illegal, so if you buy some brand new, they'll probably come from Canada with a misleading customs description. :)

A 9006 bulb is a 9006 bulb, no matter whether it's listed as a headlight or foglight, although I can't say I've ever heard of them being used for foglights.

Are these the right watts for High beams?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33710&item=2481079784&rd=1

Reason I need new ones is cause I did what Gearhead said to do & got the front clip for the B4U with the glass lights, then took the bulbs out of the glass. Then I glued the metal holder from the LE lights onto the glass so I can just twist the blubs in like I could with the LE ones. While doing all that my son decided the bulbs would make cool trees for his hot wheel cars to drive around and now they don't work. (Fingers on the bulbs is my guess) So I figured if I got to get new ones I might as well get ones as bright as I can find. I go to visit relitives often and they live way out in the country so I need to be able to see if there are deer around.

if anything go pick up a a set of sylvania silverstars.

I'll second that - I've heard lots of good things about them, and have a few friends that have used them and said they were a good improvement over stock.

- Justin

silverstars are nice but if you really want a brightlight with the blueish tint, get a real HID kit....

silverstars are nice but if you really want a brightlight with the blueish tint, get a real HID kit....

I wish I could but I can't afford it. I'm in college, and have a 4 year old son and a baby due in January.

I wish I could but I can't afford it. I'm in college, and have a 4 year old son and a baby due in January.

for starters, congrats on the pregnancy.....I would get the silverstars then, they are definitely worth their price....

I bought some cheap ones on ebay and they went out in a few weeks so i bought some sylvanias from walmart for a little more money and they have been working for over a year now. worth the money.

I have Xenon (not sure if they're actual brand Xenon) in both high and low beam. I went to a speed shop ( Lee Brothers) and they gave me stock replacements with adjusted watt values. The lows are 55watt draw/65 watt output , the highs are also 55 watt draw but 110 output. The low beams cost me $35 for the set and the high beams were $50. I had them installed March of last year and have had nothing but good from them. Not a trace of overheat or discoloration on the reflectors and no noticable draw on the alternator at idle. Alone on highway @ night with highs on and i can light up markers for as far as I wanna see. It was a bit costly ( versus more common replacements) but being a night driver and a hog for light I would happily spend it all again. ESPECIALLY if you ever have to drive in blowing snow/sleet/rain these things REALLY cut the glareback and on long treks are very easy on the eyes.