what's making this smoke!!!

90lumina3.1

im getting smoke from my rotors, and i just changed the brake pads. its odd smelling, and is worrying me. the brakes seem to fade alot while going down a hill or at around 50-60mph. somebody please helpme!

thanks in advance

Guest Anonymous

Is it the rear brakes? If it is your caliper slides are probably froze up causing the pads to rub when the brakes aren't being used. Does your car seem to slow down faster than normal when you let off the gas?

it's absolutely normal for the pads to smoke initially after install. It's the transfer of resins onto the rotor. There's a great article at http://www.60degreev6.com "The burnish procedure is the last most critical item. It provides the one to one ratio of resin transfer under controlled procedure for optimum brake performance. (This is NOT a BURN IN by any means. A burn in will degrade the system severely) Burnish rules: One mile brake cool down at 55 MPH between procedures/controlled stops. Burnish runs are: 1st stop from 45 MPH is a moderate deceleration. The next 5 to 7 stops, from 60 MPH, are a near panic stop. (Actually, a accelerometer should be used for decel rates). A one mile cool down is mandatory between stops. At the end the brake pedal will start having a mushy feel. It is common for the driver to smell and see smoke from the wheels. This transfers the resin from the brake pads/shoes to the rotors/drums. You must allow a TWO hour cool down of the system. If the ambient temperature is higher than 75 degrees F, I usually allow three to four hour cool downs. The longer the better. Instruct the owner to try not to panic stop the vehicle for 200 miles. (The only complaint I have ever received from anyone is that the brakes are allot more sensitive than ever."

I made my rotors turn blue on my old 1990 sunchicken convertible. I didn't use the bench grinder with the wire brush attachment to clean the slides and no lube and guess what you get? Glazed pads and Rotors, oh man that was a nasty smell. But i was sellin it ne way, lubed it up like a whore and sold that bitch. Hope everythign works out for ya. Later Jay