5 speed TGP video

skalor

I've got one of mine up somewhere, you can't get too much feel of it though, no sound, and I hit boost cut, so all 30 sec. that the digicam would record kind sux. :evil:

The stock boost gauges really suck don't they. My TSTE only gets about 10psi boost right now and my stock gauge reads 15psi when my aftermarket gauge reads 10. At 11psi the stock gauge goes off the end. Its pretty stupid. That is badass though...I really need a 5 speed.

Shawn

Yeah, the stock boost gauge really does suck. The only time mine is right is at crossover from vacuum to boost. Luckily my factory tach is pretty close so I just use that to shift with for now. I'm going to try hooking up the shift light one of these days. If I can't get that working for some reason I'm just going to get an RPM switch so that I can set the shift light to go off at redline so I don't have to watch the tach so much.

I'm going to head to the track either this friday or the following friday. I really want to see how I do with the 5 speed. I have to relearn how to launch my car so I don't expect to see the 2.1 60' that I've run when it was auto. :roll: :)

GOD I CANT WAIT FOR MY CAR TO GET DONE! lol, also skalor has the 284 which was made for the DOHC engines, so his RPM's drop near or around 4 k every time, which is nice. Been for a ride, and I almost pissed my self! :shock:

Yeah, and it's runs even better now. I found a set of Rapidfire #8(non-plat), and I put on my Taylor 8mm plug wires. It runs so much smoother now than when I took you for a ride(not that it ran bad). :twisted:

So, what's holding up the swap?? the shifter linkage??

GOD I CANT WAIT FOR MY CAR TO GET DONE! lol, also skalor has the 284 which was made for the DOHC engines, so his RPM's drop near or around 4 k every time, which is nice. Been for a ride, and I almost pissed my self! :shock:

Does look like a fun ride/video. Why is 4K a good rpm, what you think we got some kind of Honda here :lol: Might be good for a 4-valve motor but we got a low rpm torque monster (220 lb ft at 2,300 rpms, about the same for the 3400 but at like 4,500 rpms +/-) :shock: BUT, the lower gearing does help the multiplier of power from the engine to the wheels, so maybe why its about an even trade for an auto. Think about this, when you are being bad to your auto and running WOT long enough to pass about 84 mph, do you feel a nudge of power all of a sudden, that is the torque converter locking up and the rpms dropping to a sweeter power spot for our engine, but you can also feel this after any shift when the rpms (in an auto) drop to 3,500 to 3,800 rpms. Just some ideas to think about, and Skalor, you may already know so can skip this (others might like the info) the tach is almost always off by 200 to 400 rpms, so a 5,500 rpm shift might be more like a 5,100 to 5,300 rpms (same with idle rpm values :shock: ), but you got a scan tool to check and set your shift light to that 8) , good luck and at the track!!!

Jeff M

• 3 weeks later...

holy FUCK :shock:

I dont remember my auto trans black TGP pulling like that. :shock: :shock:

Thats enough to warrant getting rid of Z34 and stepping back into a TGP.

Who has one that wants to sell it? :o How much? :o

I'll have some vids of my inferior :lol: 282 equip'd Sunshine soon. My parents camera had a shit battery, and you have to keep it plugged in. Were supposed to get the new batter on like Wednesday or something.

Nah, alot of people will talk about how the 282 won't take the torque of the T3.1 Well, I'll be at the strip in about 5 hours to pull a slip and let them know it'll take at least a 14 sec. car w/o blowing up. Even thought I LIVE in the city where the 284's were built, and could probably get parts, I'd rather have the lighter tranny w/ more available parts (and a cheaper clutch)

Yeah, I plan on making some more videos. I'm thinking that I'm going to do a video that I do a launch(if you call it that...all I do is spin) and a flyby. I'll see if I can tape it and get it up by tomorrow. 8)

Nah, alot of people will talk about how the 282 won't take the torque of the T3.1 Well, I'll be at the strip in about 5 hours to pull a slip and let them know it'll take at least a 14 sec. car w/o blowing up. Even thought I LIVE in the city where the 284's were built, and could probably get parts, I'd rather have the lighter tranny w/ more available parts (and a cheaper clutch)

Funny that you said that before the track runs Jay. :wink: :lol: