Changing Transmission Fluid

AWeb80

I need to change the transmission fluid on a 1994 GP coupe. I have the 3.1 and was wondering what steps i should take and what is the easiest way to do it. What type of fluid should i use and do i need to get any filters. Thanks.

the easiest way ive ever done it if its auto, is just to get the auto tranny filter kit, then pull the pan off and clean it out, all the fluid drains out from there, but make sure you save almost everything, wouldnt want to find out you forgot something when its too late. speaking of tranny fluid, mines up for a change soon too

its easy. You will need a Tranny filter kit.

* unbolt the tranny pan

* run fluid into a oil pan

* remove the filter

* replace filter with a new one

* reinstall tranny pan

* refill with Dextron III tranny fluid

done..

RedZ

The Tranny fluid in the torque converter stays there if u only drain the pan and add new tranny fluid. Draining the pan only takes about 2/3's of the tran fluid out. To do a full flush u need to hook a machine up to the two hoses or cyphon 3/4 of a pipe up an let it fill into a bottle over night. The latter i read about in a car mag, and only recommend if you know what your doing, if not just doing the pan change is fine for 25k or 30k miles. once in awhile or like every 2 tran changes i'd take it to the dealer or a mechanics shop to get it fully flushed.

Tranny fluid can never be to clean, the fresher the better. :)

Tranny fluid can never be to clean, the fresher the better. :)

Actually, if it has been neglected int he past I wouldn't flush it. What happens is the old fluid has abrasives (old clutch material, etc.) in it that keep the trans working properly. If you flush it and add all new fluid you will be getting rid of the abrasives and adding a detergent which will clean away the varnish buildup and the remaining abrasives, which will possibly make your trans slip or worse, completely fail. I used to work at a trans shop (as manager) and have seen this happen a lot.