Grinding Noise in Reverse

crc

What's the first thing that comes to mind about what could be causing this? There is no noise whatsoever in nuetral or in drive, just in reverse. It's audible whenever I'm backing up slowly (which is most of the time)

The noise is coming somwhere from the front wheels. Bearings? what else?

This most likely is caused by the front brake pads. Certain types/brands of pads will makes this noise when the pad reaches about 50% life, but it can happen at any time in the pads life. Also it is very common for this to only happen while slowly reversing. My 93 Cutlass did the exact same thing, I changed to a different brand pad and to carbon metalics and the problem was gone, you can change to ceramics and all noise problems will be gone almost for sure, downside is they are quite expensive. I have heard of a company that makes some sort of copper pad for these cars, not sure on the specs on those. Hope I was able to help.

Jason

1991 Olds Cutlass Conv.

Munster, IN

I think both of you are on the right track.. I took a look at my rear brakes early this morning and they look terrible. I had all my brakes redone about a year ago (new rotors, pads, reconditioned calipers) but I still have the poorly designed 1st gen. rear calipers in there. Damn.. My front brakes are probably taking all the stress. arghh GM....

Time to look for new calipers.. :)

The rear calipers do tend to seize up quite quickly. A way to avoid this is to use the parking brake all the time. I use mine every time I park and I leave it set all night while the car is parked. This ensure that the rear calipers get used all the time, by setting the brake and releasing it, you are causing the rear caliper to squeeze onto the rotor much stonger and harder than in normal braking where the fronts take most of the work.

Jason