Changing Transmission Fluid

AWeb80

I need to change the transmission fluid on a 1994 GP coupe. I have the 3.1 and was wondering what steps i should take and what is the easiest way to do it. What type of fluid should i use and do i need to get any filters. Thanks.

Get Dexron 3 fliud, and the filter. Under the car, take the transmission pan off. If you loosen one side first, you can let it drain. Take the cover off, and just pull down on the filter to take it out. There might be a little round plastic piece that sticks up in there where the filter goes into. If so, take that out. Let it drain. Put the new round piece on the filter, then push it up into the hold. Clean the bottom fo the pan out, including the magnet (hint: Do not touch teh magnet with your bare hands. wear some rubber gloves. It is not toxic, but the shavings turn into an greas like stuff that does not want to wash off.). Put the pan back on. torque it down, then put the fluid in.

taylor

yeah, i just finished mine up about an hr ago, it really needed it. no real performance gains, but it does shift smoother. all i can say about it is to get it done while you still can, putting it off is your worst enemy*stares at containers of ATF that have a brown tint*. oh well, the last thing i have to say is beware of the magnet's shavings and stuff. supposedly, they can get into your bloodstream easily and i imagine its a bad thing

When I bought my car a year ago it had trans problems. I used a product from Hapco called Slick Shift (it comes in a white bottle with red letters). What it smelled like was basically laquer thinner or mineral spirits. I put a bottle of that in and drove the car about 40 miles to get the trans hot. After seeing and smelling the burned up fluid I knew I had to change it and risk the trans completely crapping out (your not supposed to change old trans fluid). But I went and changed the filter and fluid. This was with 115,000 miles on the original equipment stuff. But afterwards the trans starting gradually working better and better. After about another 6 months the fuid started getting nasty again so I changed it again. I have since put a total of 15,000 miles on the trans and its problem went away.

Now I need to change the fluid again. I think this will be the last time though...

Just my experience in changing fluid ;)