To Cat. or Not to Cat.

sdwhite

I realize this was beat to death a while ago in another message completely but I believe my conditions are different enough to warrant a new message.

Would I be ahead, in either performance or fuel efficency, to remove the Catalytic converter on my 3.1L '93 Cutlass Supreme with an otherwise stock exhaust? Based on the conclusion here I may or may not install a bigger diameter exhaust pipe and/or higher flow muffler at some indiscriminant time in the distant future.

My 3.1 has the TB coolant bypass hose, modified airbox w/ K&N filter and that's all, folks.

:arrow: And, in an offhand kind of way, what's the best way to make the 3.1 sound killer under WOT, in regards to exhaust? :D

:arrow: And, in an offhand kind of way, what's the best way to make the 3.1 sound killer under WOT, in regards to exhaust? :D

Remove the muffler :wink: . I actually get a lot of comments on my muffler-less Prix.

I wouldnt remove the cat, unless you plan doing the whole exhaust. Thats my opinion, I dont see how an SES light could come on without an o2 at or after the cat.

I realize this was beat to death a while ago in another message completely but I believe my conditions are different enough to warrant a new message.

Would I be ahead, in either performance or fuel efficency, to remove the Catalytic converter on my 3.1L '93 Cutlass Supreme with an otherwise stock exhaust? Based on the conclusion here I may or may not install a bigger diameter exhaust pipe and/or higher flow muffler at some indiscriminant time in the distant future.

My 3.1 has the TB coolant bypass hose, modified airbox w/ K&N filter and that's all, folks.

I feel like a freak asking this, but what does WOT mean? I've seen it a bunch of times and can't figure it out :oops:

I feel like a freak asking this, but what does WOT mean? I've seen it a bunch of times and can't figure it out :oops:

Wide Open Throttle

Wide Open Throttle

Thanks Canadian! :)