Pulled my x-over and turbo

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Not too bad. It was easier than normal for me cause the PM III is gone.

Now for pics of the x-over.

This joint had no cracks in it at all. But you will see what was wrong with it from the pic.

http://www.strike9.com/file.ashx?path=%5credturbo90%5cfullsize%5cPicture+5107.jpg

This joint was another story. I can't figure out what caused this. It looks like someone pounded a chisel through it but the heat shield was intact and not messed with. Any ideas? Also, this joint was seperating at the seam on the other end and had cracks between every rib.

http://www.strike9.com/file.ashx?path=%5credturbo90%5cfullsize%5cPicture+5103.jpg

Guest Anonymous
Maybe it's all that NAWWWZZZZ you be running. So THAT'S what a stock x-over looks like. I've never seen one. Just my 2 Jeff M's :lol:

Yeah right. I thought it ran good before. I can't wait to get a new x-over and slap it all together with a 5 speed. But I do need a chip first. *hint hint *

Yes, that is how they all look in one shape or another :lol: Your cracks or missing chunks of bellows are what they look like all the time, in fact I have a huge pile of flex joints like that from the OEM pieces I get back with the cores, many in worse shape than those you found. The metal fails and is not only cracking and pulling apart, but also disintegrating and is why yours was missing a piece. The OEM hard metal liner/slip-joint adds to the wear of these, along with the temp extremes from hot to cold to hot to cold, mainly as we go from hot exhaust gas to cool exhaust gas from Deceleration Fuel Cut Off/DFCO, at which point there is no fuel, no explosion and no heat going into the exhaust. The corrosive sulfuric acid that forms with condensation takes a huge toll on the integrity of the thin bellow metal. And last is the harmonic vibrations (exhaust is full of noise!!) that will shake metal apart over time. So, a lot of actions going against the life of these flex joints, and why there has now been so much made in construction advancements to address all these problems, including bellows that are not bent so tightly but are more rounded lessening the localized stress points when flexing occurs; liners that flex, braided wire outer liner, and overall better material usage has made these a problem of the past 8) .

Jeff M