polished wheels Update...

maybe2fast

yeah I will post pics when they are done no time soon. Talk to Gearhead about the sig I love mine

I just updated mine and the avatar as well .. may redo it a bit after seeing yours

whats this buffer wheel you speak of? You have compounds for it too?

I have no idea what wheel he's speaking of, but I use buffing pads on my drill & bench grinder for a lot of pieces(probably not that great for use on a wheel though..my local home depot carries pretty much every type of metal polish known to man, in the tool section at the one local to me). Have you seen those "Flitz" polish commericals Brian? The buffing pads attached to the drill or whatever on that commercial look like they would be great for applying compounds to the wheels when polishing them up.

yeah, see, I've been looking for a kit that gives you different "grades" of compounds, usually different colors and you go in a gradual order to get mirror polish. Thats what I want, right there :lol:

yeah, see, I've been looking for a kit that gives you different "grades" of compounds, usually different colors and you go in a gradual order to get mirror polish. Thats what I want, right there :lol:

Home depot here offers the different grades all the way up to jewlers rouge(they have them numbered 1-6 I believe).

Here's a picture of some IC pipes I did about a year ago after getting my 88 Volvo...I believe I only used white rouge(applied w/ buffing wheel) on these and then some "wenol" metal polish that was hand applied, they looked almost mirror, but the cam I had back then was crappy. :oops:

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/1/web/265000-265999/265887_17_full.jpg

They started out life painted and had a slight cast surface to them, it took forever to make these look decent. :oops:

cool, I figured the Depot would have something, but I try to avoid browsing there looking aimlessly, as it's a quite annoying store. :lol:

Yeah, Me & Lowe's+ browsing= $300 of complete shit! Bad news. :lol: It's just TOOO easy for me to spend money at a hardware store. :oops: At Guide we use different grades of polish but they are all numbered in grits like P-240N.

god910, you work at guide? sweet. get me some new head lamps. I like the fast that mine are still original after a decade, but I fear them leaving me. btw, if you know how to get some guide lamps for a 1968 cutlass convert, let me know. Thanks.

well, I bought a can of the Aircraft Coating remover from Murray's on my lunch hour so I will start this process sometime in the near future....I will take lots of pics once I start....

8c9757c3.jpg

well, I bought a can of the Aircraft Coating remover from Murray's on my lunch hour so I will start this process sometime in the near future....I will take lots of pics once I start....

8c9757c3.jpg

Ugh, why would you buy anything made from GPX? They're like the worst electronics brand you could get, besides Classic and Coby.

When I did my wheels I used some metal shine, but I did it somewhat halfassed, and I didn't sand at all. Maybe I'll do that here in the near future..

Ugh, why would you buy anything made from GPX? They're like the worst electronics brand you could get, besides Classic and Coby.

I knew someone was going to comment on that. :lol: ...it is one of the office radios that was here when I was hired in a few years ago....

I knew someone was going to comment on that. :lol: ...it is one of the office radios that was here when I was hired in a few years ago....

Good. I didn't figure you'd bought that yourself, you don't seem to be one of the masses of people who actually think that you can buy just any CD/Radio appliance from Meijer's that costs ~$35 and have it actually sound good...

not wheels but similar, I was given an extra 3.1 so I took off the throttle body, intake manifold and valve covers. I planned to dress these pieces up abit so I used a angled die grinder with green bristle (3m) and proceeded to bring the metal back to life.they look so good and I havent buffed them yet. I still have to do the throttle bodies and all its nooks and crannies but honestly I think I like this polished aluminum over chrome