Where to buy tires

88GrandPrixLE

I am needing to buy new tires for my car, but I'm not sure where to buy them or what kind to get. I have an '88 Grand Prix that I put some 16" rims from a 96 Grand Prix on. The ones that came on the rims were 255/60r/16, but they rub on my bra when I have it on and it makes my speedomter off a little. I think I need something like 115/60r/16, but am not sure if that will correct my speedometer and rub. I don't even know if the tires I have were right on the '96 Grand Prix even. Thanks.

Randy

Wichita, KS

Guest TurboSedan

i shop at tirerack.com and then look for the tires i want locally for a good price. if you buy them at tirerack and bring the tires somewhere locally to get them mounted/balanced, it will just cost the same if not more in the long run. usually if you buy them locally the mounting/balancing is free. i'm not sure what series tire you have, but a 255 is probably a little too wide on a w-body; i'm not surprised you have rubbing. tire sizes that might work for you would be 245/50, 235/55, 225/60, 225/55, and 215/60. i'm going with 225/55's myself mounted on my 16x8 GTP crosslace wheels. for a great tire calculator go here:

http://www.secret-secret.com/turbo/DIY/tirecalc/turbotire.html

hth,

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

i just reread your post and realized you are running a 60 series tire. 255/60-16 is WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY TOOOO BIG!!! whoa! i'm surprised you don't rub tires lock to lock on the inner fenders. btw, what's a bra? isn't that some 80's car thingy or something that girls wear or somthing?

joshua

Thanks for the help. I did some calculating, and with my old tire size and my new rim size, it comes out that I need about a 225/55 r16 I think. Oh, and the 255 was a misstype. I never even noticed that, but the tires I have are 225/60 r16's.

BTW. A bra is a very thin piece of leather like material used to cover up serious pits and lack of paint due to following an oversized semi trailer loosing gravel down a highway during rush hour. I also had to get a new windshield out of the experience. My hood wasn't very bad at first, but I took it in to get detailed a month or two later, and it came back with absolutely no paint on the front quarter of it. After bitching and moaning to my insurance an mainly the detail shop, all I got out of it was half off of a new bra. It does add a lot to my car though. The car looks kind of awkword with it off after getting one.

Randy