(engine) Motor Mount

GP1138

Got a question. I picked up an engine mount for my car yesterday. I need to know if there's a way I can raise the engine without the use of an engine hoist, as I do not own such a tool. Anyone got a shadetree mechanic method of doing this? Thanks!

Your powers of deduction are weak. Why would I need to raise the engine if I was changing a dogbone? :P I'm going to do what the Haynes manual says and jack a block of wood up under the oil pan. Either that, or I'm going to lower the car underneath a brick with a piece of wood on top of that or something. I'm resourceful, I'll figure it out.

I hate scissors jacks, though. I can't use it to jack up the engine, because it moves forward as it jacks up.

Yeah, but they are SLOW :lol: Less chance of flubbing up your oil pan. Use the scissor jack under the car, place a stationary "table" of a brick and wood. Then lower the car onto the brick. The engine would be supported, and you would control the height of the engine by moving the car up and down. Just an idea. I have an engine hoist. :wink:

I was thinking of doing that as well.. should I unbolt the tranny mount? Or will that side of the engine raise up enough to remove the engine mount, even without unbolting the tranny mount?

get a set of jackstands. best $15 you will spend. then use your handy hydraulic jack and a block of wood to raise the engineby the oil pan. you should not have to unbolt the other mount. in my experience the tranny mount is the easiest to change and if your going to do engine mounts just do them all at once, alot less agrivation in the long run.

I'm afraid to raise up the engine by putting a block of wood or something on the oil pan and jack the engine up. I'm afraid that I might dent the oil pan or mess up the oil pan gasket.

When I do bottom mount on my vehicle, I might get this Universal Engine Support tool instead at

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36092

Well, my oil pan is already dented, so I'm not too awful worried about that. I will probably end up doing that block of wood on top of a brick trick and lowering the car onto that. If it screws up my oil pan, it's a good excuse to get a new one to replace my rusty dented one.

I actually have a set of jack stands, and I now think I know how I'm going to do this. I'm going to put a brick/block of wood onto the jackstands I have and lower the car onto them. I don't think that will cause too much of a problem.

Either way, it will be easier than changing a balljoint or transmission seal, which both were a PITA.