new method to retime

GrandPrix34

I have a spare cam carrier wit the cams sitting around so i picked it up and started playing wit it 8)

The cam gear has 30 teeth...the cam carrier has a round casting mark. When the cam flats are up on the carrier, you can count 15 teeth mark to either left and right and the flats will now be upside down. (Amazing things you'll discover when bored).

I tried retiming the engine witout the hold down tools and put the 13* retard but turned out to utter failure. Car sounded AWESOME like a very heavy cammed car, but ran worth a shit...i floored it on take off, the RPM's jumped to about 2K and climb VERY VERY SLOWLY to 3K...when it go to higher RPMS it felt as though i hit a virtual wall. I could not move anymore literally...

as long as the chick in your post doesn't throw up, im ok

btw, no one makes performance cams for most or all w-bodies right?

what are the main differences between stock and performance, just lift? or...

The whole idea or re-timing it is to fix the error between the sprocket and cam, they aren't keyed so they will move over time. No matter how may teeth you count if the cam is out of time with the sproket it will still be wrong.

Without the hold downs how did you do 13*?

The reason it ran like shit was because you retarded the camshafts 26 degrees.

It has to be in relation to the crankshaft because the valvetrain rotates at half the speed of the crank...