3.1 running too cool

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan
Yeah, computers don't like it when the coolant doesn't get hot enough. 2) NEO, KISS MY ASS. 24MPG, I'll take IT!!!!!

:lol: :lol: usually i get about 28-30 mpg/hwy, but i have gotten as high as 34 mpg/hwy with the 5-speed. i only get maybe 18-20 mpg/city driving like a maniac delivering pizza :)

Yeah, computers don't like it when the coolant doesn't get hot enough. 2) NEO, KISS MY ASS. 24MPG, I'll take IT!!!!!

:lol: :lol: usually i get about 28-30 mpg/hwy, but i have gotten as high as 34 mpg/hwy with the 5-speed. i only get maybe 18-20 mpg/city driving like a maniac delivering pizza :)

wish i got milagel like that

According to my DIC in my GP, when going around 50-60mph I'm getting around 30-40mpg on a flat surface, cruise control on, 2-3k RPM depending on the speed. Could my little 2.8 motor really be getting great mileage on the highway, or is my DIC full of crap? (which I think is likely the case). My city mileage I think is similar to others on here.

I doubt your DIC is full of crap. It bases the mileage on the amount of fuel the injectors are putting out and your car's speed. I used to get 30-35 mpg going 60-65mph in my Trofeo with a 3800 series on a flat road, and on a trip down to Terre Haute I got about 500 miles out of 16.x gallons of gas which worked out to slightly over 30 mpg. Not bad for a car of its size.

• 1 month later...
Guest TurboSedan

i FINALLY replaced the thermostat.

HOLY SHIT. i've never seen a thermostat in such bad shape. the metal 'strap' looking thing on the engine side snapped, which caused the inner part of the thermostat to rip away from the outer edge...it wasn't just stuck open, it was ripped WIDE open! :shock:

the car better get better gas mileage now. i went down to Laramie last week (4hrs away) and only got a little bit over 22mph :( that sucks bad.

• 19 years later...
On 4/22/2004 at 1:47 AM, Guest TurboSedan said:

i dunno, the car seemed to run cool 'suddenly' starting about 2 weeks ago or so, but after that trip yesterday it ran REALLY cool. i think it was the 1st highway trip i've taken since the problem started so the highway driving made the engine run even cooler with the air flow @ 75mph. the coolant was all changed last October or so (always 50/50) when i had the engine and tranny out for the 2nd Getrag swap. i never have swapped the thermostat since i've owned the car - the thing probably has 218,000 miles on it :) i'll change it tomarrow; even if that is the problem (probably is) it could probably use a new one.

Did your first Getrag fail?