O-ring leak

cs916

Hello,

For those that have the 3.4l dohc engine with the o-ring leak: has anyone taken the engine apart and looked at that o-ring? Did it still look good, or was it shredded? If it still at least looked good, I found a product http://auto-rx.com/ that claims to slowly clean the inside of the engine, and recondition the seals. There's also a forum on oils that I read. http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi Just go down to the 'Additives, fuel, oil, cleaners' part, and look for anything with "AutoRx" in the title. Lots of info from people that have actually used it. It might work. What does everyone here think?

Kurt

I found this but not much else.

Patent #: 6544349 Issue Dt: 04/08/2003 Application #: 09714773 Filing Dt: 11/16/2000

Title: METHOD FOR IN SITU CLEANING OF MACHINE COMPONENTS

I have no idea what "in situ" means.

My car had the oil leak, and I did scrap the engine to fix it.

It wasn't shredded, but it had turned as hard as steel from all the heat overtime...

There really is no conditioning to make that seal come back, when it starts to leak you're pretty much screwed... Better off using the mag-lite fix.

Some people have used a maglite o-ring to fix the leak.

What they do is unbolt the oil pump drive bracket, and lift up the the oil pump drive and slip the o-ring between the drive and the block surfaces. Then just nbolt it back up.

Apparently it works pretty good. You can find more and better info on it im sure using the forum search.

Yeah, the O-ring becomes brittle and hard. It's like plastic, and breaks into pieces when removing it. No way to soften that back up.

I used the thin O-ring between the head and block trick, works great! It's not a Mag-lite O-ring though, but one I got from Pep Boys about 1/16" thick. I also used silicone gasket material under there for extra sealing power. I wouldn't bother to pull the head to fix that unless you planned to pull the head for some reason anyway.

Stand while facing the front of the engine. Your left is the firewall, your right is the front end.

At the end where the block meets the transaxle and where the lower intake meets the block under the throttle body on that flat area a little bit left of center.

This is where a distrubutor would be if there was one.

Are you there yet?

does anyone have a pic of the o ring sand what it is suppossed to look like, i got one from car quest and i dont think its the right one, i think the guy guessed...please send a pic..thanks Regalized

ok on the 3.1's do you have to pull the throttle body off? and if not how do i get the blot off ?

I pulled my TB off to replace the o ring. More room to access it the better.

Guest Anonymous

On a 3.1 pull the Throttle body and unhook the fuel lines. Makes a alot of room to do it.

BTW, when pulling the dist. shaft out of the block twist it and it'll come out easier.